• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Standing up to China

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Paddy View Post
    The UK universities are very nervous as one in four students are Chinese, there could be big losses of revenue.
    I don't know how much Chinese students integrate but I was thinking that another loss would be that students go back to China with a more western perspective, which could change China for the better in the future.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
      China is a capitalist country.
      If capitalism means the private ownership of production and land then no. It's not even close.

All workers are in government controlled unions, most companies have CCP committees that control the board and you are now 'expected' to put the CCP in the articles of association. The only regulated lending is state controlled and all regulators are not independent from government.

You might have a stock exchange but you are buying slices of government controlled enterprises.

But then if your primary knowledge of capitalism comes from reading das kapital when you're 17 then you'll probably regard it is capitalism.

Comment

Shrink the Uni's and push up the price for Foreign Students. Why they have to be so large, and dependent on fees is simply because they decided to run them like (inefficient) businesses - growth for growth's sake - keep academia academic, FFS.

China are never going to change because the US / UK alliance make some "strategic" commercial decisions - China are still engaged with UK Nuclear...that's not going to change!
        I was an IPSE Consultative Council Member, until the BoD abolished it. I am not an IPSE Member, since they have no longer have any relevance to me, as an IT Contractor. Read my lips...I recommend QDOS for ALL your Insurance requirements (Contact me for a referral code).

Comment

I wonder if all the fanbois will throw away their Apple gear? I wonder if datacenters will remove all their Lenovo equipment? The list goes on and on....
          Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

Originally posted by woohoo View Post
            I don't know how much Chinese students integrate but I was thinking that another loss would be that students go back to China with a more western perspective, which could change China for the better in the future.
            Clinton let them into the WTO thinking the same thing.

Comment

There's an old Vulcan proverb... 'Only Nixon could go to China' - YouTube

"Only Nixon could go to China".

Dumb mother****er.
              When the fun stops, STOP.

Comment

Originally posted by minestrone View Post
                Clinton let them into the WTO thinking the same thing.
                I think you will find that George Bush helped them more than Clinton, he was also president when they joined....
                Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

Originally posted by darmstadt View Post
                  I think you will find that George Bush helped them more than Clinton, he was also president when they joined....
                  China Trade bill (2000; 106th Congress H.R. 4444) - GovTrack.us

It became law 4 weeks before the election of Bush and months before he became president.

Seriously, do you ever pause to think that your "I'm on this side so I have to say this" schtick makes you say utter gibberish?

Comment

Originally posted by minestrone View Post
                    China Trade bill (2000; 106th Congress H.R. 4444) - GovTrack.us

It became law 4 weeks before the election of Bush and months before he became president.

Seriously, do you ever pause to think that your "I'm on this side so I have to say this" schtick makes you say utter gibberish?
                    * From China’s request to resume its status as a contractingparty to the GATT to its final accession to the WTO, it tookChina 15 years to go through the arduous and prolongednegotiations.
                    ∗ On July 10, 1986, China formally submitted to the GATTSecretariat its request of resumption of China’s status as acontracting party to the GATT.
                    ∗ In November 1995, China formally requested to accede to theWTO.
                    ∗ On December 11, 2001, China officially became WTO’s 143rdmember.

https://www.wto.org/english/thewto_e/acc_e/s7lu_e.pdf

Monday marked the fifteenth anniversary of U.S. President George W. Bush’s 2001 decision to sign a proclamation granting China permanent normal trading relations (PNTR) with the United States.
                    He counts U.S. support for China’s entry into the World Trade Organization, followed by the granting of PNTR in 2001

Comment

Originally posted by woohoo View Post
                      Why would they think that "our" way is better?

Comment

Working...
                      X