• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Shamima begum DOOM

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

And paid for by who? Her solicitors and barristers are being funded by legal aid whist there are no funds in the legal aid pot for other people who desperately need legal aid. I her family want her back, then they should pay for legal funding.

Already the applicant's legal bill will be in the region of £120,000 plus whatever the Home Offices legal costs are.

There will a number of interim hearings and then one or two days final hearing, not to mention the actual costs of the judges' and court's time.

The Appeal Court stated "The Court of Appeal said she had been denied a fair hearing because she could not make her case from the camp." Strange, absence has never been an issue or reason for appeal in other cases.

Shamima Begum left the UK to join "The Islamic State", she accepted being a member and had IS won the conflict, she would have been happy to stay on and assist in the atrocities. Once back in the UK she will be staying no matter what.
    "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

If she gets back it will only increase demands for change in the legal environment that expects we let in and keep roasting fookwits like her.

Now brexit is done the 'we want to change something' voters will be looking for a new mission.

Comment

Originally posted by vwdan View Post
        Deport her where, though?
        Australia? Oh wait, we stopped that

Comment

Originally posted by minestrone View Post
          If she gets back it will only increase demands for change in the legal environment that expects we let in and keep roasting fookwits like her.

Now brexit is done the 'we want to change something' voters will be looking for a new mission.
          The UK can't blame the EU, the courts are independent. Many EU countries can revoke citizenship and deport without appeal.
          "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Originally posted by ContractorHardman View Post
            Australia? Oh wait, we stopped that
            It's the other way round now. Paedophile deported from Australia 'used UK as hunting ground' | Gazette

Comment

Originally posted by Paddy View Post
              The UK can't blame the EU, the courts are independent. Many EU countries can revoke citizenship and deport without appeal.
              Maybe, but there is certainly a desire to change how the courts work after brexit, this will only embolden a large chunk of the electorate.

Comment

Correct decision - we can't have it both ways. We want to deport foreign born criminals back to their country of birth so it's only right that we take responsibility to take our own criminals back.

I get people don't like this but she was radicalised whilst living in the UK.
                I am what I drink, and I'm a bitter man

Comment

Originally posted by Whorty View Post
                  Correct decision - we can't have it both ways. We want to deport foreign born criminals back to their country of birth so it's only right that we take responsibility to take our own criminals back.

I get people don't like this but she was radicalised whilst living in the UK.
                  Shamima Begum renounced her UK citizenship and burnt her passport in public when she joined IS.

Comment

Shamima Begum renounced her UK citizenship and burnt her passport in public when she joined IS.
                    I doubt she did.

Give up (renounce) British citizenship or nationality - GOV.UK

OverviewYou can apply to give up (renounce) your British citizenship or status. If accepted, you’ll get a ‘declaration of renunciation’ that you can use to show that you’re no longer British.

You might do this, for example, if you want to become a citizen of another country that does not allow dual citizenship.

You can renounce your:

British citizenship
                    British overseas territories citizenship
                    British overseas citizenship
                    British subject status
                    British national (overseas) status
                    You can give up more than one at a time.

Giving up your citizenship or status only affects you and not any other members of your family - although it could affect the status of any children you have in future.

Your right to live in the UK will be affected if you give up citizenship.

When you can give up your citizenship
                    You can only give up your British citizenship or status if either of the following apply:

you already have another citizenship or nationality
                    you’re going to get another citizenship or nationality after giving up your British citizenship or status
                    You must also be:

aged 18 or over (unless you’re under 18 and married)
                    of sound mind (unless it’s decided that it’s in your best interest)

Comment

I've changed my mind on this a few times. It wouldn't bother me if a bomb dropped on her right now, she is the lowest.

But it's our responsibility to take her back, investigate her crimes and convict her. The cost would be enormous and the chances of finding evidence that could stand up in front of a jury are slim. She would likely go free. She would require constant monitoring at enormous cost for her own protection and to stop her or any more sprogs she might pop out becoming radicalised. The state would have to look after her financially probably for the rest of her life.

But it's our responsibility as a tolerant law abiding society. We can't complain that groups are illegally toppling statues and should be arrested and made to pay for illegal acts, when the state decides arbitrarily to break the law because it suits public opinion.

Comment

Working...
                      X