• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

COVID paranoia

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
    So what do you think would be a better comparator, Denmark or the UK? Of all the "fair" comparators, why is it the UK that you choose?
    Because it demonstrates that our lockdown has been totally futile

Anyhow, if you're going to resort to cheap insults it just shows that you've lost the debate and, quite frankly, engaging with you and your funny little atw chap does nothing to lift my already dark spirits on this gloomy afternoon so, good day to you sir.
    Last edited by Excursion UK; 18 June 2020, 14:25.

Comment

Originally posted by Excursion UK View Post
      Because it demonstrates that our lockdown has been totally futile
      Just by comparing death rates, urbanisation rates and lockdown policy? And ignoring all other factors? Really?

How do you know that the UK lockdown wasn't just poorly executed (e.g. introduced too late)?

Using your simplistic model, wouldn't comparing the UK and Denmark demonstrate that the a Danish lockdown model would have been hugely beneficial?

Comment

UK lockdown was piss poorly done - late and not strict enough, death/infection rates comparison with even France/Spain/Italy (nevermind Germany) shows it, BUT compared it with Brazil and suddenly HM Govt does not look so bad

Comment

Just by comparing death rates, urbanisation rates and lockdown policy? And ignoring all other factors? Really?

How do you know that the UK lockdown wasn't just poorly executed (e.g. introduced too late)?

Using your simplistic model, wouldn't comparing the UK and Denmark demonstrate that the a Danish lockdown model would have been hugely beneficial?
          ExcursionUK is an example of somebody with a low IQ, who feels empowered by the past couple of years to stand by an opinion, even when this opinion is demonstrably false.

There seems to be a cohort of media outlets that have encouraged this. In the past people would admit they didn't know much about something, with one loud mouth idiot standing out shouting about how much they knew about almost everything. We used to tell the idiot to be quiet and we'd get on with our lives.

These days two thirds of people are like that; not particularly intelligent, yet encouraged to stand by their opinions, even if demonstrably false, because they can just huddle up to their co-thinkers in their false bubble of misinformation.

Why is this important? Until we switch back to the old method we're going to see really poor quality governments, lesser respect for great institutions and a trend towards even more misinformation. What the idiots don't realise is that there comes a point where these positions become dystopian and rationality is difficult to switch back towards.

Nordic and Scandinavian countries are less individualistic and have a societal contract that is far stronger. People in the UK are more individualistic and selfish, despite the fact they lack little capability to self-analyse their own selfishness. It isn't as bad as the USA, but just as we look towards them and think "those people seem quite selfish and money obsessed", so our EU, Nordic and Scandinavian neighbours think the same of us.

Comment

geez

Comment

Covid deaths per million of two countries. One locked down, one didn't.

UK 614
              Sweden 483
              Sweden did lock down, just not officially. All my ex-colleagues at various companies are working from home until the rest of the year. They've been working from home for three months.

People who are suspicious the virus isn't harmful, don't care, are ignorant or foolhardy are going to restaurants together and taking the virus home with them. It could be likened to Darwinism; Sweden have already scheduled an inquiry and reversing course.

As has been written here before: You need to judge the death count and those who have long term conditions post-covid19 illness after the fact. You are trying to judge purely the total number of dead during the pandemic, whilst it continues, which is why your conclusions are incorrect. The pandemic hasn't concluded and, as most other posters here know, will continue into 2021 unfortunately.

As for your job: I don't know what sector you're in, but retrain. When I see the oil&gas boys moaning here, it seems to have passed them by that we're refocusing towards renewables and that isn't going to change. Oil and gas in the UK and Europe is on a downwards trajectory and nothing is going to stop it. If you're in that sector then start reskilling.

Comment

Originally posted by rogerfederer View Post
                ExcursionUK is an example of somebody with a low IQ, who feels empowered by the past couple of years to stand by an opinion, even when this opinion is demonstrably false.
                F'kin breathtaking. It's thanks to arrogance like that that the oi polloi hate the so called enlightened metropolitan classes. The likes of you have created your own Frankenstein's monster there.

And don't even speculate on my IQ - you haven't got a clue.

Comment

Originally posted by rogerfederer View Post
                  Sweden did lock down, just not officially. All my ex-colleagues at various companies are working from home until the rest of the year. They've been working from home for three months.
                  Yes and that's the whole point. No compulsory lockdown which subsequently tanked the economy, at least not to the degree that it has here.

Comment

F'kin breathtaking. It's thanks to arrogance like that that the oi polloi hate the so called enlightened metropolitan classes. The likes of you have created your own Frankenstein's monster there.

And don't even speculate on my IQ - you haven't got a clue.
                    We do have a couple of clues, so we're perfectly free to speculate. It's a free country.

Comment

We do have a couple of clues, so we're perfectly free to speculate. It's a free country.
                      I think the arguments you were using vis a vis scandi culture vs uk culture make you look pretty dense to be honest but I don't feel the urge to call you a cretin. I feel a bit sorry for you to be honest, you and your little gang of keyboard warriors.

Comment

Working...
                      X