• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

UK economy shrinks by record 20.4% in April lockdown

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
    My point is that an earlier lock down would have damaged the economy even more. You can't have it both ways.
    Some people deserve bad government.

Comment

My point is that an earlier lock down would have damaged the economy even more. You can't have it both ways.
      Are you for real?

2 weeks earlier shut down would have gotten us in great position with about feck all cases - like Greece achieved

Comment

Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
        An earlier lock down would have meant a shorter one with less damage to the economy.
        This

Pretty fooking obvious and utterly predictable

Comment

Well this problem:

Bank of England 'ready to act' as economy shrinks record 20% - BBC News

Will be fixed by this:

Bank of England joins Dennis the Menace for kids project - BBC News
          Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

2 weeks earlier shut down would have gotten us in great position with about feck all cases - like Greece achieved
            Far less cases no doubt but could the lock down have been lifted 2 or more weeks earlier? Maybe not, as we would need to have some progress on tracking and other measures in place. Greece may have seen far fewer deaths than the UK but there other factors too, a population density less than a 1/3 of ours, a younger population, ethnicity etc

Deaths is not the same as effect on economy. Many of those who die are older or in poorer health and make less contribution to the economy anyway. Not saying they don't matter but we need to think about those who have their whole lives ahead of them. Strict lock downs that destroy the economy will impact their lives in many ways, unemployment, homelessness, mental health problems, a rise in crime due to lack of legal alternatives. Perhaps we should have had a more focused lock down aimed at the vulnerable, those with health problems, care homes etc. We shall see who got it right after this is all over.

PS Interesting DT article re BJ "ignoring" the advice of health advisers:

In other words, the containment measures introduced on March 16 were more than sufficient to halt the spread of the virus. The government’s scientific advisors did not urge the Prime Minister to go any further, and they were right not to do so. I’m convinced that the decision to place the entire country in suspended animation on March 23 will end up costing more lives than the pandemic.

The myth that’s grown up around the lockdown, then, is the opposite of the truth. Boris didn’t turn a deaf ear to the scientists urging him to lock down. Rather, he ignored their advice to tread carefully and rushed into one of the worst decisions in our history.
            'The science' was right – it was the Government that was wrong
            Last edited by xoggoth; 13 June 2020, 09:43.
            bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
            John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Yeh! Dennis will certainly do it! With the help of Gnasher.
              bloggoth

John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

2 weeks earlier shut down would have allowed much earlier and much safer lifting - by far more than 2 weeks due to the way virus spreads (exponentially fast) and how much slower patients recover (look at charts from hospitals).

1 week would have made a lot of difference, 2 weeks for certain.

Naturally Tories (or Labour if they were in power) would argue that people would not have complied with lockdown until morgues were full, not buying this because by that point it was clear what was going on in Italy - shutting down early Feb would not have worked, but late Feb for sure good chances

Comment

What..? how?
                  It's not like we don't have enough other examples of countries to compare by
                  It's no huge coincidence the UK has ended up with the worst stats of any European country.
                  What're you even on

Comment

Bah! Bet yer 40p yer wrong! CUK should have a betting thread.
                    bloggoth

Comment

Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
                      Some people deserve bad government.
                      Too many people need government.

Comment

Working...
                      X