• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Ways to beat coronavirus after lockdown

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by vetran View Post
    Much the same here I have a fiver in my wallet and it hasn't moved in a month. I normally draw £20-30 a week out for incidentals. Contactless has upped to £45 I think.

Limit for contactless spending to rise to GBP45 at beginning of April | Money | The Guardian
    Watches and suchlike devices (Apple Watch and at least some Android watches) already have a higher limit than contactless cards at most large retailers, as they use a newer, more secure protocol to authorise payments that cards don't support (or at least not most cards, yet). I’ve never yet hit a limit for a watch payment at M&S or Sainsbury’s, for example.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
      Childcare place was the only place I used cash. Free banking (ATM withdrawals and card payments) largely doesn't exist in Ireland, but credit cared tap has no charge for me so I use that.
      Free banking does not exist in the UK too, everybody pays.

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
        Watches and suchlike devices (Apple Watch and at least some Android watches) already have a higher limit than contactless cards at most large retailers, as they use a newer, more secure protocol to authorise payments that cards don't support (or at least not most cards, yet). I’ve never yet hit a limit for a watch payment at M&S or Sainsbury’s, for example.
        True dat, but how much can a pack of bananas cost anyway?

Comment

If things actually do get really bad, cash will be king. Back when all this was starting I withdrew more cash than usual so just in case things got really bad I would have some cash. And kept a full tank of petrol.

Can you imagine if the banking system broke and no credit cards or Apple pay worked? The ATMs would be empty in about 20 minutes and then we'd see people going crazy. Granted things are getting back to normal and shortages of cash and petrol seem unlikely now, but a few weeks ago it was better to safe than sorry.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
            True, but it's a few weeks now since I've used an ATM or paid with cash.
            Weeks? I bet I only use ATMs a couple of times a year these days. Only thing I pay cash for is car wash. Everything else is debit card.
            I am what I drink, and I'm a bitter man

Comment

Originally posted by hairymouse View Post
              If things actually do get really bad, cash will be king. Back when all this was starting I withdrew more cash than usual so just in case things got really bad I would have some cash. And kept a full tank of petrol.

Can you imagine if the banking system broke and no credit cards or Apple pay worked? The ATMs would be empty in about 20 minutes and then we'd see people going crazy. Granted things are getting back to normal and shortages of cash and petrol seem unlikely now, but a few weeks ago it was better to safe than sorry.
              Did you hoard bog roll and dried pasta too?
              I am what I drink, and I'm a bitter man

Comment

Originally posted by Whorty View Post
                Weeks? I bet I only use ATMs a couple of times a year these days. Only thing I pay cash for is car wash. Everything else is debit card.
                Builders, plumbers, sparkies, chippies, etc all live by cash. The number of people I know that work in the trade, live in big houses and drive flash motors that have never made a profit on paper is incredible......

Comment

Originally posted by Whorty View Post
                  Did you hoard bog roll and dried pasta too?
                  Yes, except I got in so early it wasn't actually hoarding. The shelves were still full and %99 of people hadn't figured out what was coming so my shopping didn't stop anyone else from getting anything. In fact, it was helpful because when there was an actual shortage of TP I didn't need to buy.

Does anyone remember the post on here about what kind of things the people missed during the siege of Sarajevo? After reading that I immediately went out shopping.

Comment

Originally posted by hairymouse View Post
                    Yes, except I got in so early it wasn't actually hoarding. The shelves were still full and %99 of people hadn't figured out what was coming so my shopping didn't stop anyone else from getting anything. In fact, it was helpful because when there was an actual shortage of TP I didn't need to buy.

Does anyone remember the post on here about what kind of things the people missed during the siege of Sarajevo? After reading that I immediately went out shopping.
                    No charge.

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
                      Builders, plumbers, sparkies, chippies, etc all live by cash. The number of people I know that work in the trade, live in big houses and drive flash motors that have never made a profit on paper is incredible......
                      Yeah, they never made a profit because they've spent all their money on flash motors and big houses.

Comment

Working...
                      X