• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

What is it with dried pasta and flour?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What is it with dried pasta and flour?

Went to our local store yesterday, and the only shelves that were completely empty were dried pasta and flour.

There was loads of rice, and noodles which are a bit like pasta.

There was no shortage of cakes and bread (both fresh & packet). They even had fresh pasta, which no-one seemed to be buying.

Scoots still says that Apr 2020 didn't mark the start of a new stock bull market.

Not sure if people are still be retarded or if the inital wiping out of stocks has just left a gap due to just in time supply lines not reconfiguring to catch up.

I suspect if people realised you can freeze fresh pasta and it keeps that way for ages those shelves would have been empty too.

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
      Not sure if people are still be retarded or if the inital wiping out of stocks has just left a gap due to just in time supply lines not reconfiguring to catch up.

I suspect if people realised you can freeze fresh pasta and it keeps that way for ages those shelves would have been empty too.
      At a group level, stockpiling makes little sense. At an individual level, it makes perfect sense.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
        At a group level, stockpiling makes little sense. At an individual level, it makes perfect sense.
        ahh Utilitarianism and deontology, much in vogue at the moment.
        But I discovered nothing else but depraved, excessive superstition. Pliny the younger

Comment

Everyone's started making their own bread according to Twitface.
          The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Originally posted by LondonManc View Post
            Everyone's started making their own bread according to Twitface.
            Which is silly as there's plenty in the shops

(says she who is trying to make her own bread)

Comment

Apparently the reason you couldn't get eggs for love nor money is that they couldn't get any egg boxes - most of them are manufactured in Denmark, and the factory has closed

Though I haven’t been in search of any eggs for over a week so maybe that problem’s resolved now.

I assume the reason for the pasta thing is that it keeps for ages. I look forward to those who have stocked up having to endure their offspring moaning “But Muuuuummyyyyyyy, we had pasta yesterday, I’m sick of pasta” on a regular basis for the next three years

Comment

During the cold war, it was all about being able to survive with long lasting balanced meals.

Pasta needs gas, electric & water , its not a good survival tactic. They will regret that when all the dead rise from the grave and start eating through the cables and piping.

Cans ! They were designed for this, yet "Up my end" the shops are full of cans, and empty of flour, pasta and all the raw ingredients needed to make , a lot of the stuff that's in cans.

So yeah, don't understand the Pasta thing at all.

Comment

Originally posted by Scoobos View Post
                  During the cold war, it was all about being able to survive with long lasting balanced meals.

Pasta needs gas, electric & water , its not a good survival tactic. They will regret that when all the dead rise from the grave and start eating through the cables and piping.

Cans ! They were designed for this, yet "Up my end" the shops are full of cans, and empty of flour, pasta and all the raw ingredients needed to make , a lot of the stuff that's in cans.

So yeah, don't understand the Pasta thing at all.
                  A heat source and water. Could be fire.
                  The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Originally posted by LondonManc View Post
                    A heat source and water. Could be fire.
                    Right I'm off out to stockpile wood for the apocalypse! Cheers!

Comment

Working...
                    X