• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

House market - how low will it go?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Whorty View Post
    A 'privilege', if that is true, that I have worked to get. I came from a council estate from one of the poorest areas of the country and worked my way to where I am today. Nothing has been given to me (or my wife).

I/we went without holidays for years in order to pay off our mortgage to ensure we would be debt free at a time when we expected her health to get worse and our ability to work to reduce.

And I was just responding to your post to me ..... if you're going to accuse me of something, I have a right to reply.

Am no accusing anyone of anything - not my style.

Likewise, worked from the ground up. Summer job at uni was in the cemetery cutting grass - walked behind that machine 18 miles a day from 8am!
    "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
      No chance of selling, yet he bought another property at the same time.
      YEah - am thinking why not rent until like is sorted out...
      "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

We still have a housing shortage (we're told) which presumably protects the market to an extent too.
        Originally posted by MaryPoppins
        I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
        Originally posted by vetran
        Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by The Janter Effect View Post
          err... I seem to be getting constant negative reputation notifications from this Brillo Pad character.

Is there any way I can turn him off?
          I find sending him a picture of me, semi-naked, in my wife's underwear, generally turns him off To be fair, it turns most people off .... feel free to give it a go
          I am what I drink, and I'm a bitter man

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
            We still have a housing shortage (we're told) which presumably protects the market to an extent too.
            My understanding of the stats is they include children aged 25 and over staying at home. However the issue there isn't lack of housing but affordability. The market has been artificially pushed up and propped up for over a decade.

Keep in mind more people are separated, divorced, prefer to live alone and all the rest, but these are older and are stretching their financial affordability in order to live alone or without two adults in the houeshold, thus using up housing stock. I don't think the solution is necessarily lots of one or two bed tiny overpriced new build prices across the country.

Comment

Don't agree. Look at Japenese housing market.

House Price to earnings ratio returns to mean - often with overshooot on down side.

House prices are driven by credit and demographics.

Comment

Isn't Japan a particularly weird case though, the San Francisco of the time for housing markets?
                At the moment there's a HUGE amount of credit to be had. I assume you got your £5m 0% loan

Not seen you for ages BTW DA, hope you're well.
                Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                Originally posted by vetran
                Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by Whorty View Post
                  I find sending him a picture of me, semi-naked, in my wife's underwear, generally turns him off To be fair, it turns most people off .... feel free to give it a go
                  I don't have a picture of you to send him...

Comment

Isn't Japan a particularly weird case though, the San Francisco of the time for housing markets?
                    At the moment there's a HUGE amount of credit to be had. I assume you got your £5m 0% loan

A few years old, but completely worth watching in full, Richard Koo of Nomura, whom I like due to his frankness:

YouTube

Explains the Japanification of US and UK economies.

Comment

Hi Mr d000hg

Thank you for asking.

All reasonable (under the circumstances).

I was expecting markets to crash due to debt levels etc but didn't anticipate CV19.

Might have to go to plan B - accounting (the horror) - been in Fund Management for last 10 years but their income is dependent on AUM and I expect a 2/3 year bear market (maybe down to 20% of peak cf 1929).

Best regards

DA

P.S. have a bit of time on my hands and have discovered a room in the house called a "kitchen". Strange times.

P.P.S. Mrs DA (version 3.0 - (fairly) stable release - no major upgrades expected) has proven mostly harmless and occasionally useful
                      Last edited by DodgyAccountant; 3 April 2020, 18:00.

Comment

Working...
                      X