• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Is the lockdown a bad idea?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by CheeseSlice View Post
    Well then someone made a very bad judgement call didn't they? Clearly it wasn't over.

You're right though, the problem we face right now is that supression by limiting economic activity and restricting movement, travel etc, will only temporarily put out the coronavirus fire.
    The fuel (un-infected people) will still be plentiful and the spread of infection is directly related to increasing economic activity. By opening the economy taps, the severe and critical covid cases will soon overwhelm the NHS again.

This is why it is important for us to get the anti-body test to understand how many people (including asymptomatic) have already had the disease and are effectively immune. That will allow us to understand when we have herd immunity. I don't know for sure, but I'm guessing once we have the 60% or so immunity in the population we can lift most restrictions in the UK.
    The country voted for a clown to be PM and planning is done on the back of an envelope. As per the news yesterday, the NHS does not have enough face masks for their own staff. Some nurses have to go without masks and some are limited to two disposable ones per day. They have run out of protective clothing. In Iran, the army are making masks by hand and masks are issued free to the population. Shopping malls are turned into emergency hospitals. Cuba has sent doctors to Italy. Russia has sent trucks to disinfect the Italian streets. The UK government are twiddling their thumbs. The only way out is to test people and test multiple times. The local busses are not cleaned and they are running all day without passengers. What a mess.

The lockdown is badly organised and it can't go on more than a couple of weeks without the whole system failing.

As for Dyson producing ventilators, if they are as reliable as their vacuum cleaners, then there will be a lot of ventilators failing and cast upon the rubbish dumps.
    "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Originally posted by cojak View Post
      Oh, I don’t think so...
      I'm happy to take that bet!

But can you be more specific on which bit you don't agree with? That Trump will decide first, or that others will end up following him, or both?

Comment

The obsession with always what Trump is doing arguably pathological. The media seems driven to project our own problems in Europe as the ones that he is uniquely failing on. It's bizarre.

Comment

A Swiss Doctor on Covid-19

Found this interesting.

A Swiss Doctor on Covid-19 – Swiss Propaganda Research

Suggests low number of incremental deaths due to the virus. Also points out deaths ascribed to virus follow pattern of existing death rates re age / sex.

Prof Ferguson at Imperial (my alma mater) says most people would have died anyway - die with virus rather than from virus.

Two thirds of coronavirus victims may have died this year anyway, government adviser says

I believe it possible Dominic Cummings had this worked out but the politics prevailed. I look forward to his memoirs in 20 years time.

Good to see so many police about. Maybe when this is over they can be re-deployed from stopping people sunbathing to investigating burglaries / stopping drug dealers from stabbing each other to death etc.

Comment

Originally posted by woohoo View Post
            I’m wondering if Trump is right that the cure will be worse than the disease.

We are probably looking at 18 months of intermittent lockdowns, if all goes well with developing a vaccine. Can our economies survive that long.

Can people stay in lockdown for that long? How are people going to feel in a few months if rationing is introduced, drugs and medicine are going to be harder to get hold of.

Should we let this pandemic run its course or will human ingenuity prevail?
            You are a dumb idiot, so no surprises with this post

Comment

Originally posted by DodgyAccountant View Post
              / stopping drug dealers from stabbing each other to death etc.
              why would we want to do that??

Comment

Originally posted by DodgyAccountant View Post
                Found this interesting.

A Swiss Doctor on Covid-19 – Swiss Propaganda Research

Suggests low number of incremental deaths due to the virus. Also points out deaths ascribed to virus follow pattern of existing death rates re age / sex.

Prof Ferguson at Imperial (my alma mater) says most people would have died anyway - die with virus rather than from virus.

Two thirds of coronavirus victims may have died this year anyway, government adviser says

I believe it possible Dominic Cummings had this worked out but the politics prevailed. I look forward to his memoirs in 20 years time.

Good to see so many police about. Maybe when this is over they can be re-deployed from stopping people sunbathing to investigating burglaries / stopping drug dealers from stabbing each other to death etc.
                Saying the same thing 2 weeks ago I got the the usual morons out with the "muh TV show says 2 million will die" gibberish.

Comment

Originally posted by Paddy View Post
                  The country voted for a clown to be PM and planning is done on the back of an envelope. As per the news yesterday, the NHS does not have enough face masks for their own staff. Some nurses have to go without masks and some are limited to two disposable ones per day. They have run out of protective clothing. In Iran, the army are making masks by hand and masks are issued free to the population. Shopping malls are turned into emergency hospitals. Cuba has sent doctors to Italy. Russia has sent trucks to disinfect the Italian streets. The UK government are twiddling their thumbs. The only way out is to test people and test multiple times. The local busses are not cleaned and they are running all day without passengers. What a mess.

The lockdown is badly organised and it can't go on more than a couple of weeks without the whole system failing.

As for Dyson producing ventilators, if they are as reliable as their vacuum cleaners, then there will be a lot of ventilators failing and cast upon the rubbish dumps.
                  That's what we need right now.. negativity, blame and disbelief, along with a load of irrelevant examples of countries who have had far worse pandemic preparedness.

Boris is actually leaving the important thinking to the experts, which he rightly should do. A few areas have come under scrutiny, and mistakes have been made, but they're recognizing the mistakes are getting on with it. The mobilization going on in our country over the last week or so is impressive.

If there is anything you could do better, lets hear it..

Comment

Essentially the OP is suggesting either lifetime imprisonment of Her Majesty or worse, where is the treason emoticon?

Comment

Originally posted by BR14 View Post
                      why would we want to do that??
                      I see your point but innocent bystanders can get involved and it really isn't a good thing.

Comment

Working...
                      X