• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Is the lockdown a bad idea?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by woohoo View Post
    I'm serious in asking the question. I've read an article about life in India, because of the lockdown some people are more worried about starving than the virus. Closing down our economies has a huge impact around the world.

We are richer country so I don't worry about that starving though I have a feeling rationing may be introduced. But if people start losing their houses and can't easily find work then believe me people will start disagreeing with the lockdown.

I do wonder if our economy can survive multiple lock downs over a 2 year period.
    No-one will lose their house. No-one will go hungry.

There will be quite a few self entitled people who feel they are better than everyone else. They will whine online but will do nothing else.

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
      No-one will lose their house. No-one will go hungry.

There will be quite a few self entitled people who feel they are better than everyone else. They will whine online but will do nothing else.
      People lose their houses because of recessions.

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
        The army will be deployed.
        To do what?
        Old Greg - In search of acceptance since Mar 2007. Hoping each leap will be his last.

Comment

People lose their houses because of recessions.
          Not for the next few months. After that, the world will look a very different place.

Comment

The lockdown is difficult and we're only on day 4.

It can't last forever but it needs to last long enough to make a difference. The government is going to have to figure out how to ensure people keep the roofs over their heads and the vulnerable get the help they need. They have a pretty rubbish record at looking after the vulnerable so you'd hope this would be their time to prove they can do the right thing.

Sadly, people will be missed because it's always the edge cases that screw up any system. Whilst its deplorable that it will happen, we need to be aware that planning for the masses will exclude the few and so be there to help where we can.

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
              The lockdown is difficult and we're only on day 4.

It can't last forever but it needs to last long enough to make a difference. The government is going to have to figure out how to ensure people keep the roofs over their heads and the vulnerable get the help they need. They have a pretty rubbish record at looking after the vulnerable so you'd hope this would be their time to prove they can do the right thing.

Sadly, people will be missed because it's always the edge cases that screw up any system. Whilst its deplorable that it will happen, we need to be aware that planning for the masses will exclude the few and so be there to help where we can.
              Well the free money Government gave to banks, so they could loan to small business is a great idea. Only some banks won't lend unless the business owner provides a personal guarantee. So if their business goes bust the bank are coming after their house and car. Not a great start and I only hope it's a blip.

Comment

Well the free money Government gave to banks, so they could loan to small business is a great idea. Only some banks won't lend unless the business owner provides a personal guarantee. So if their business goes bust the bank are coming after their house and car. Not a great start and I only hope it's a blip.
                Yeah. The free money thing never seems like it trickles down to where its needed. It just props up big business.

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
                  Yeah. The free money thing never seems like it trickles down to where its needed. It just props up big business.
                  No ifs, no buts, everyone with an NI number should receive a payment monthly until this is over. Those in need who are without an NI number can be dealt with separately.

That would be a start.
                  Old Greg - In search of acceptance since Mar 2007. Hoping each leap will be his last.

Comment

Originally posted by Zigenare View Post
                    No ifs, no buts, everyone with an NI number should receive a payment monthly until this is over. Those in need who are without an NI number can be dealt with separately.

That would be a start.
                    Overpayments can be dealt with by the tax system at the end of the tax year, by which time I'd hope we'd be out the other side of this.

Comment

I'm sure all will be fine, I can definitely see an extended lockdown pushing out the worst of the infections to the summer.

I can also imagine that various treatments will be found that will help all but the most vulnerable. And I can see us increasing our hospital capacity.

Didn't mean to depress people, was more of a question I was asking myself and was looking for various opinions on.

Mods feel free to delete this thread, regret asking the question as it's not helpful.

Comment

Working...
                      X