• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Is the lockdown a bad idea?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

YouTube

No.

Comment

This professor states that if GDP per head drops by more than 6.5 percent, you kill more people with the lock down , than you save

Coronavirus UK: Economic meltdown after COVID-19 set to end MORE lives than virus | UK | News | Express.co.uk

Sent from my iPhone using Contractor UK Forum

Comment

Originally posted by caffeine man View Post
        This professor states that if GDP per head drops by more than 6.5 percent, you kill more people with the lock down , than you save

Coronavirus UK: Economic meltdown after COVID-19 set to end MORE lives than virus | UK | News | Express.co.uk
        No, he says if it drops by more than about 6.5% “for a significant period”. I don’t know whether he defined the duration that qualifies as “significant” for the purposes of his model, but if he did, it didn’t make it into that report. Could be two weeks, twenty years, or five centuries for all we can tell from that

Comment

My attention span is very low and to answer the OPS question, "Is the cure better than the problem"

I read the first few pages, but he's right to ask whether curtailing the entire world to save a few, versus the economic impacts and who would die is a very basic admirable question.

This is then followed up with, what cost is a Human Life! My god how could you place a value, on human life versus money, is somebody worth $$$$$ or less in another country $$$$?

Then a whole load of scientific crap versus some Brexit crap versus some numerical arguments that IT / Autistic people like to throw up.

Personally, the longer I go on, the longer I live, the less I care. This is all a fukcing game of mathematics, of chance, of impossibility. One defunct boredom to another. So I'm going with this theory. Elon Musk: The chance we are not living in a computer simulation is 'one in billions' | The Independent

I still can't escape it, but I aint falling for it.
          What happens in General, stays in General.
          You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
            My attention span is very low and to answer the OPS question, "Is the cure better than the problem"

I read the first few pages, but he's right to ask whether curtailing the entire world to save a few, versus the economic impacts and who would die is a very basic admirable question.

This is then followed up with, what cost is a Human Life! My god how could you place a value, on human life versus money, is somebody worth $$$$$ or less in another country $$$$?

Then a whole load of scientific crap versus some Brexit crap versus some numerical arguments that IT / Autistic people like to throw up.

Personally, the longer I go on, the longer I live, the less I care. This is all a fukcing game of mathematics, of chance, of impossibility. One defunct boredom to another. So I'm going with this theory. Elon Musk: The chance we are not living in a computer simulation is 'one in billions' | The Independent

You know you are allowed out for daily exercise? Just make sure you walk, run or cycle from your house and back again.
            "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post

In summary, are you're saying a human life is worth more than £3.50 + VAT ?
              I am what I drink, and I'm a bitter man

Comment

Originally posted by Whorty View Post
                In summary, are you're saying a human life is worth more than £3.50 + VAT ?
                Has NLdyUK lowered her rates again? I did tell her that it's a race to her bottom.
                Old Greg - In search of acceptance since Mar 2007. Hoping each leap will be his last.

Comment

Who coded it? I bet it was outsourced...

Comment

Originally posted by Zigenare View Post
                    Has NLdyUK lowered her rates again? I did tell her that it's a race to her bottom.
                    She doesn't charge me VAT ... I pay cash in hand
                    I am what I drink, and I'm a bitter man

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
                      You know you are allowed out for daily exercise? Just make sure you walk, run or cycle from your house and back again.
                      I'm surprised cycling is officially sanctioned to be honest when we're being told not to make unnecessary journeys by car because of potential RTAs putting extra strain on the emergency services.

Comment

Working...
                      X