• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Coronavirus (Covid 19)

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
    Is this bollocks too?

Comment

Originally posted by ravenshaw View Post
      of course, you posted it

Comment

Interesting stats

OpenTable COO on Restaurant Impact From COVID-19

Sent from my iPhone using Contractor UK Forum

Comment

BoJo mentioned about herd immunity but is there such a thing ? what if virus mutates then your immunity will be gone and people will be reinfected. No mention of hundreds of thousand of people who are elderly or have a disease like hypertension,diabetes,heart disease and cancer who have high probability of dying. Also no mention of people who will be left with lung diseases forever.

Comment

Originally posted by Andy2 View Post
            BoJo mentioned about herd immunity but is there such a thing ? what if virus mutates then your immunity will be gone and people will be reinfected. No mention of hundreds of thousand of people who are elderly or have a disease like hypertension,diabetes,heart disease and cancer who have high probability of dying. Also no mention of people who will be left with lung diseases forever.
            Good point concerning the virus mutation. I've heard that it's already mutated since it started in China and that there are actually two strains of the virus out there. One worse than the other.
            Last edited by AB1; 14 March 2020, 22:47.

Comment

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
              This was just shared by an Italian colleague of an Ambulance driver I know here in Munich.

<snip>

Only now, we have started being careful. We are all staying inside. Ettore goes to work, but stays far from the others in the office, and washes his hands once he comes home. We can go out for a walk but if we meet anyone we have to stay at least a metre away. I do the shopping alone, making sure to keep my distance from others in the shop, and trying not to touch my face . When i come back home i wash my hands carefully.(now they limit how many people can be in the shop at 1 time)

It seems a sad way to live, insensitive and cold, but it is the only chance we have to a actually stop spreading the virus further. For a while we have to suspend eating out, travelling, going to shows, pub, bar, school, sporting events.....anything where we need to be in close contact with others. Even taking the bus is risky, if its packed, and someone sneezes?....so really the best thing, the only thing to stop spreading this virus further is to sacrifice a little of our habits and stay at home, not just to protect ourselves, but to protect the others who may be a little more fragile than we are.
              This always makes me chuckle. So it's OK for you to go to work, but you won't support the other sections of society who also have a right to survive.

It's easy to plan ahead in your own little bubble for supplies of food and medicine, if you have the money to do so and **** everyone else trying to make a living to provide for their families.

That's why I support the government in not being overly cautious with closing down the country.

Put the elderly and vulnerable in lockdown, everyone else should go about their lives as normal.

Sadly it's too late for that, as most of the world is going into lockdown. Still it's nice to understand that there have been 50,000-100,000 deaths from influenza in the same time that Covid-19 has been in existence, but that's not important right now.

Comment

Originally posted by AB1 View Post
                Good point concerning the virus mutation. I've heard that it's already mutated since it started in China and that there are actually two strains of the virus out there. One worse than the other.
                What you heard is that there may be two strains, and one may be more virulent than the other. However, the latest science - of course subject to change - is that there is one strain with expected genetic variability within that strain, but nothing that really affects its virulency or infectiousness.

Here's an article that explains virus mutations. Coronavirus mutations: Much ado about nothing - CNN

Many vaccines to RNA viruses, such as yellow fever, measles, and mumps, were developed throughout the 1930s-70s and are all still highly effective. And those viruses mutate at rates as fast or faster than coronaviruses. In fact, the two proposed "S" and "L" coronavirus strains only differ by two mutations and are 99.993% identical. It's extremely likely that any vaccine designed for one coronavirus will be protective against the other.
                Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Ah well.

Didn’t get there in the end. Jet2 bounced all the flights.

It appears that no-one is taking any notice of the Foreign Office or the Government now.
                  "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
                  - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Originally posted by cojak View Post
                    Ah well.

Didn’t get there in the end. Jet2 bounced all the flights.

It appears that no-one is taking any notice of the Foreign Office or the Government now.
                    French ski resorts close
                    As a result of the latest restrictions in France, the organisation looking after the country's ski resorts has announced all French resorts will close on Sunday.

"Holiday-makers and professionals, all of us sport-lovers, we must accept reality given the seriousness of the situation," Domaines Skiables said.

Perhaps he needs a change of name !!!

Sent from my iPhone using Contractor UK Forum

Comment

Originally posted by AB1 View Post
                      Yes, the mutation is the 'Iamasthickastulip' virus causing people to panic buy toilet paper
                      Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

Working...
                      X