• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

456 Positive Covid-19 in UK as of 11th March

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by WTFH View Post

Prediction is 43 million infected, 1.46 million dead (at the current rate of 3.4%)
    We'll hit the limit on infections in about another 4 weeks, although if extra hygiene measures are in place, that might reduce the limit to around 30 million, and in 16 weeks time, with deaths reduced to under 1 million
    So there is about 600,000 deaths per year in the UK - are you saying that this year there will be 3 times as many deaths?

Just asking for a friend like...

Comment

Well I've booked my bargain skiing holiday, now to get on the plane before everything shuts down...
      "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
      - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Why is Haslemere pointed out?

Comment

Prediction is 43 million infected, 1.46 million dead (at the current rate of 3.4%)
          We'll hit the limit on infections in about another 4 weeks, although if extra hygiene measures are in place, that might reduce the limit to around 30 million, and in 16 weeks time, with deaths reduced to under 1 million
          Are you sure this wasn't stolen from the BBC 4 Documentary : BBC Pandemic ?
          They simulated a 'digital' pandemic flu outbreak using a mobile phone app and thousands of volunteers. Patient zero was unleashed into the population in none other than 'Haslemere' and they set the virus parameters to be very very aggressive.
          A couple of years old now but still on iPlayer and very interesting to watch. Particularly the effect of hand washing..
          BBC Four - Contagion: The BBC Four Pandemic

And...the scary coincidence is that Haslemere was also the location of the first human-to-human transmission of Coronavirus in the UK.
          One for the tin foil hat conspiracy theorist gang..

Comment

Originally posted by original PM View Post
            So there is about 600,000 deaths per year in the UK - are you saying that this year there will be 3 times as many deaths?

Just asking for a friend like...

The model, based on UK data and testing in 2017/18, is predicting that at the current rate of 3.4% (WHO figures), then the figure mentioned in my earlier post is the increase in deaths.
            Higher likelihood if you're male, and also by age group.
            There is one anomaly that could mean these figures are under, and that's a spike in the >80 age group. Normal modelling would expect that to be around 14-15%, the figure to last week was close to 21%.

I realise that some people reject science and maths as all lies when it comes to global issues, but it will be interesting to see how this plays out over the next 6 months.
            …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

We should be banging a 500 quid tax on entering the country and stopping all public gatherings.

This should have been done weeks ago. By all countries.

Comment

Originally posted by minestrone View Post
                We should be banging a 500 quid tax on entering the country and stopping all public gatherings.

This should have been done weeks ago. By all countries.
                But only after I come back from me hols...
                "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
                - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Originally posted by cojak View Post
                  But only after I come back from me hols...
                  Same here. Got a weekend away coming up next week.

Comment

Originally posted by CheeseSlice View Post
                    Are you sure this wasn't stolen from the BBC 4 Documentary : BBC Pandemic
                    No, it wasn't stolen from there. It was stolen from the updated, peer-reviewed publication that came out following the show.
                    …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

No, it wasn't stolen from there. It was stolen from the updated, peer-reviewed publication that came out following the show.
                      On a virus strain that wouldn't be discovered for 2 years?

I'm not sure you really know what you are talking about here.

Comment

Working...
                      X