• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Stock market - how low will it go

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This will be historical^2

Seriously though if 4200 does not hold, all bets are off. The index is going somewhere it's not been since 1994. Back then Demolition Man was the future.
    "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
      This will be historical^2

Seriously though if 4200 does not hold, all bets are off. The index is going somewhere it's not been since 1994. Back then Demolition Man was the future.
      Can't see it happening.

Again, not in any position right now but everything is ready when I feel it's time to begin drip feeding in. Will be using an ISA for long term investment - currently don't have any ISAs or shares.

U.S. futures staged a big turnaround from weekend and overnight losses, boosted by the "unlimited QE" announcement this morning. Only to then go and lose nearly all of that recovery during afternoon trade. I must admit I was surprised. But the failure of the senate to vote through a Stimulus bill - twice - was the trigger this time. The bill will be passed and very soon, once the idiots can stop arguing amongst themselves.

But I still see a bottom forming here or say within 10%. Not quite the 4200 level on FTSE but perhaps 4600 and 2000 on the S&P. It's anyone's guess but in the long term the indices will always recover as the weak businesses are weeded out and stronger ones are inducted. We have to hope for an economic recovery else we're all doomed. My friends in I.T. and other industries are losing jobs. It's heartbreaking.

Comment

Originally posted by ChimpMaster View Post
        U.S. futures staged a big turnaround from weekend and overnight losses, boosted by the "unlimited QE" announcement this morning. Only to then go and lose nearly all of that recovery during afternoon trade. I must admit I was surprised. But the failure of the senate to vote through a Stimulus bill - twice - was the trigger this time. The bill will be passed and very soon, once the idiots can stop arguing amongst themselves.
        I think there's a general view that Fed interventions have reached their useful limit. Were they in a different position with lots of ammo still left, it might be a different matter. There's no monetary ammo left now and monetary policy isn't really the solution to this crisis anyway. All of the recent central bank interventions have produced a similar response, perhaps with the exception of the ECB intervention w/r to (e.g., Italian) bond yields.

Yes, there will probably be a positive response when the bailout passes, but that might just be another selling opportunity in the short/medium-term. It's guesswork, as you learned today. Drip-feeding makes sense right now, providing you're in this for the long haul (obviously, if you're speculating for the bottom of the market, that's different and a mug's game).

Comment

Can't see it happening.

Again, not in any position right now but everything is ready when I feel it's time to begin drip feeding in. Will be using an ISA for long term investment - currently don't have any ISAs or shares.

But I still see a bottom forming here or say within 10%. Not quite the 4200 level on FTSE but perhaps 4600 and 2000 on the S&P. It's anyone's guess but in the long term the indices will always recover as the weak businesses are weeded out and stronger ones are inducted. We have to hope for an economic recovery else we're all doomed. My friends in I.T. and other industries are losing jobs. It's heartbreaking.

I think you are off your head. The markets barely responded to the stimulus. Just kidding, they did: they went down and are heading down again for obvious reasons.

When sentiment is fear - and appropriate fear at that - people don't spend as much. Home delivery services for goods will plummet.

Losing jobs is not heartbreaking. Losing lives is heartbreaking. Please let's keep perspective. The work is always there to be done, in varying quantities. Being alive is better and we should appreciate what we have in the forthcoming weeks and help those who are definitely going to lose loved ones in all adult age groups.

Comment

Can't see it happening.

Can't see 4200 happening? Hold that thought... when in doubt, zoom out. This 3-month chart would send shivers down any trader's spine. My concern now is not if we get to 4200, it's will we hold it?

I think if they pass that bill you'll have social unrest. It is surely the largest example yet of privatise the gains, make the losses public.

What would cause the 4200 floor to collapse? Businesses disappearing off the index through bankruptcy or being nationalised by the state. Clearly the state can't nationalise everyone.

"Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Working...
            X