• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Tories and IR35

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That bit of pondlife beat me to it.

The first link says they will abolish it "if we win the next general election". That was two elections ago so that pledge no longer holds.

The second relates to when Letwin was shadow chancellor. It wasn't a solid commitment, and anyway, we've had an election since then and it's been all change in the tory party.

Nevertheless....

I believe they'd like to get rid of it (and S660). However, they know that they need to make up the revenue from any taxes they cut, and they see things like inheritance tax as a higher priority.

So while IR35 still collects money from the volunteers, it has otherwise mostly died a death and can be left on the back burner.

Comment

Look 'ere expat, buffoon is right. Please try and keep in mind that calling for execution of new labour politicians is relevant to ANY thread on CUK.
      bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
      John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Originally posted by xoggoth
        Look 'ere expat, buffoon is right. Please try and keep in mind that calling for execution of new labour politicians is relevant to ANY thread on CUK.
        Hear hear.

Er, won't CUK end up on some terrorist list in the Ministry of Peace though?

Comment

Originally posted by wendigo100
          Hear hear.

Er, won't CUK end up on some terrorist list in the Ministry of Peace though?
          Of course, so remember to include a polite "Good Morning" to the nice people at GCHQ and Menwith Hill on every post, and you should be OK
          Life is just nature's way of keeping meat fresh

Comment

Originally posted by wendigo100
            That bit of pondlife beat me to it.

The first link says they will abolish it "if we win the next general election". That was two elections ago so that pledge no longer holds.

The second relates to when Letwin was shadow chancellor. It wasn't a solid commitment, and anyway, we've had an election since then and it's been all change in the tory party.

Nevertheless....

I believe they'd like to get rid of it (and S660). However, they know that they need to make up the revenue from any taxes they cut, and they see things like inheritance tax as a higher priority.

So while IR35 still collects money from the volunteers, it has otherwise mostly died a death and can be left on the back burner.
            IMHO I thought they were making no taxation promises now?

Maybe the PCG need to lobby the Cameronster?
            Last edited by Bagpuss; 17 January 2007, 13:15.
            The court heard Darren Upton had written a letter to Judge Sally Cahill QC saying he wasn’t “a typical inmate of prison”.

But the judge said: “That simply demonstrates your arrogance continues. You are typical. Inmates of prison are people who are dishonest. You are a thoroughly dishonestly man motivated by your own selfish greed.”

Comment

Originally posted by Bagpuss
              IMHO I thought they were making no taxation promises now?
              I'm pretty sure you are right. I'm just speculating on where I think their priorities will lay.

Comment

I got an email from David Cameron on this subject a few weeks ago.

Here it is if you are interested.

Yo Dim!,

How's it hanging in that there ghetto man?

To your point re the Intermedaries Legislation also known as IR35. Unlike Labour we are committed to anything green and anything that wins votes, so yes we are very likely to get rid of it, if it will cut CO2 levels.

Perhaps we can apply a Carbon tax on disguised employees and so make cycling to work more enjoyable for real businesses. That sounds "fair".

Anyhow, west side, you the man.

Yours,

David Cameron
                Leader of the Opposition

Comment

Originally posted by Mailman
                  Thats the spirit! Why vote for someone who could possibly improve your lot (hopefully remove a lot of the stealth taxes introduced by El Gordo) when you could just be a little sheep and follow everyone else.

Tony (and soon Gordo) relies on people like you!

Mailman
                  Exactly - if the government of the day wants to make me better off, then so be it. But I'd rather vote along with my principles than purely looking after number one.
                  Best Forum Advisor 2014
                  Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
                  Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Makes no difference who I vote for (Tory safe seat), but with Labour determined to ruin all our lives and the Lib Dems having got rid of the only good politician they had, I'm thinking I really will vote Tory next time around.
                    Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Working...
                    X