• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Women in IT

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Our PM here (at a major bank) is a contractor who knows F all about IT. I can't believe she got the job in the first place, I don't think she's ever worked in IT before.

She doesn't even know how to use the internet!

Frankly she is an embarrassment to the project and frequently makes me cringe with her inane comments when she attempts to understand/explain any mildly technical content.

Comment

Originally posted by TazMaN
      Our PM here (at a major bank) is a contractor who knows F all about IT. I can't believe she got the job in the first place, I don't think she's ever worked in IT before.

She doesn't even know how to use the internet!

Frankly she is an embarrassment to the project and frequently makes me cringe with her inane comments when she attempts to understand/explain any mildly technical content.
      You can say that for ALL contractors.
      Johnny Talibani Mumbai

Comment

I've never thought of women being better or worse - you get good and bad like with men.

However, going for a quick one after work is different.

Comment

I've worked with a few women in IT... the best ones have worked in IT for a few years and know that the majority of blokes hate gossip and crappy politics.

The worst ones talk constantly about how their neighbours cat keeps going in her garden and messing their plants whilst your trying to get your head around some bloody tricky coding
          Coffee's for closers

Comment

Originally posted by stackpole
            I've never thought of women being better or worse - you get good and bad like with men.

However, going for a quick one after work is different.
            Assuming you are talking about going for a drink, most women I know are among the first to the bar.
            +50 Xeno Geek Points
            Come back Toolpusher, scotspine, Voodooflux. Pogle
            As for the rest of you - DILLIGAF

Purveyor of fine quality smut since 2005

CUK Olympic University Challenge Champions 2010/2012

Comment

Originally posted by DGK
              Sorry ladies but they just don't mix. I've never met a woman that knows her stuff in all my years in IT.

Who the Feck cares, we make loooooaaads of Kerching.. and some of us earn their massive money without even knowing our stuff too (as you say) sounds that there are loada of very smart ladies in IT to me

Comment

Originally posted by DodgyAgent
                the great thing about women is that they do not "know their stuff", they tend to know "the clients stuff". There are too many of you nerdy ****** who "know your stuff". Tell you what stick "your stuff" where the sun dont shine and worry more about what your customer wants.

Excactly - Most clients give me a role instead of a man not because my IT knowledge is better than them, its because I demonestate my awarenes of client and user relation - ability to convince others to give me their time and ability to gain sign off & buy ins from other stakeholders /project sponsors.... clients know they can get cheap indian techies for nothing, but client awareness and management is something that they can't find in most men applicants

Comment

Too many geeky IT type blokes on here feeling intimidated by females, largely down to their own insecurities. No reason whatsoever why females cannot excel in IT. Obviously there are careers where women cannot equally match men, but not IT. Perhaps if a few more of the "men" on here were having relationships with females that did not have 'jpeg' for their surname, these fears would not surface. You know who you are folks!!
                  “The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

Originally posted by shaunbhoy
                    Obviously there are careers where women cannot equally match men, but not IT.
                    Being a rear-echelon potato-peeler like you could equally well have been done by a woman, SB.

Hard Brexit now!
                    #prayfornodeal

Comment

And to illustrate my point perfectly, up steps the rocket-polisher extraordinaire!
                      “The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

Working...
                      X