• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Those sick Muslims

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by zathras
    Muslims are forbidden to drink alchohol - from any source actually I think it is anything which alters the mind so must illegal drugs are covered as well.
    I bet there is nothing in koran to stop them from drug-peddling

Comment

The NHS is screwed anyway. On costs alone.

A small example that is probably just the first few hydrogen atoms of the iceberg:

My gf is studying BSc Occupational Therapy, and is currently on a placement. An elderly patient had an assessment, and the locum OT decided that as a result of mobility impariment, the patient needed a battery-operated bath chair to bathe independently.

Now, they have a system in place, which means they must try certain mobility aids in a certain order (hoists, boards, handles etc).

Even though the qualified OT knows that the chair is the best solution, the bureaucracy is such that they must pay to have all the other aids, one by one, ordered, delivered, fitted... leave it for a trial period (where the patient will not be able to use this equipment), come and do another assessment, tick a box saying this isn't suitable and that they must move to the next bit of kit. Then pay to have it removed, disposed of (where the cost of returning the equipment is too high they ask the patient to dispose of it), more gear delivered, installed, ad nauseum.

What an absolute waste of money. This process drags on for months, and is in no-ones interest. Just because of some petty little jobsworths in the ****ing public $&£*^!@ sector.

I think I'll have a lie down...
      Last edited by realityhack; 12 January 2007, 11:42.

Comment

Originally posted by Spartacus
        Well okay, but as long as we don't kill any superbugs with alcohol as that would be an unforgiveable insult to Islam.

You mean Buddists ya thicko

Comment

If you've been watching the Gerry Robinson NHS thing you will see this is endemic. He was parachuted into the best run NHS hospital in the country (according to the depatment of health) and the place was a complete clusterfcuk.
          I'm Spartacus.

Comment

Originally posted by Pondlife
            It's a fairly recent thing. There's a passage where Mohammed was offered wine or something else (milk I think) and chose the other. People have interpreted this as 'don't drink alcohol'.

It has to be a recent thing as historically the best wines came from that region.

Of course this is purely anecdotal and I could (as usual) be talking b0llox
            Alcohol (Al Cohol) is an Arabic invention - at least the process of fermentation. Like Algorithm actually.
            Hard Brexit now!
            #prayfornodeal

Comment

Just checked and Shriaz is a city in Iran famed for its wine production, hence the name of the grape.

Comment

Indeed what a shame that the perversion of a religion that is Islam has condemned those in the Muslim world to perennial backwardness. Twas not always thus.
                Hard Brexit now!
                #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru
                  Indeed what a shame that the perversion of a religion that is Islam has condemned those in the Muslim world to perennial backwardness. Twas not always thus.

I thought it was the mongols - who destroyed all the books and institutions. Then the British and French - and now the Americans and British.
                  McCoy: "Medical men are trained in logic."
                  Spock: "Trained? Judging from you, I would have guessed it was trial and error."

Comment

Originally posted by zeitghost
                    Indeed not.

During the early Middle Ages, it was forward looking.
                    Yes the Caliphate of Cordoba being an interesting example.

Comment

"collecting better data to record religious affiliation" would be pointless. Most of this has nothing to do with being Muslim, I would bet the successful Muslim Kenyan/Ugandans Asians don't have a major problem. It's down to cultural factors such as a diet with everything boiled in fat until there is no goodness left and excessive smoking (about half of Bangladeshi males smoke). Poverty relative to others is mainly due to too many peasant farmers that never had any real skills in the first place, large families and a very low percentage of working women. Nobody can fix these problems but themselves.
                      bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
                      John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Working...
                      X