• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

guitar lessons

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I would recommend acoustic first, also take some time to learn your way around the fretboard (like other people have advised) and also to get your arms and fingers accustomed to the guitar before taking private lessons as the teacher will probably only be able to tell you things you can learn yourself from a good book for at leaase the first 6 months.

it will be hard to hit some chords and notes to start with because playing the guitar - especially down the neck towards your body - will be uncomfortable (painful!!) until you get more flexible and used to it...

When your playing gigs in pubs it will be the best thing u ever learnt

Comment

Originally posted by n5gooner
      Great guys - now I'm confused, electric or acoustic !! currently living in a town house..
      get both. heck get two acoustics (one nylon strings and one metal) and two electrics (one solid and the other semi). then get a mandolin for portability and those "battle of evermore" monents.... buy well and they will appreciate in value too. perfect. having loads means one in each room - close to hand whenever the need arises. all you need is time to practice practice practice.

those fingers are gonna hurt but play through it to get the skin toughened and they just won't go where you want them to - but keep at it and they will.

Comment

and when the neighbours come knocking just invite 'em in, grab an instrument from each corner and start jamming...

Comment

Originally posted by DS23
          then get a mandolin for portability and those "battle of evermore" monents....
          One of each, Bowlback and Flatback.

Oh, and make sure you get a 12 string version of each guitar as well
          "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

NEVER!
            Get your Acoustic and your Twelve Bore mixed up

Comment

Originally posted by n5gooner
              Thanks guys for all the advice!!! I was in a music shop yesturday, I have not bought a guitar yet, but don't want to spend £100's what should I be looking for, I would like to play more Rock'n'roll.

Alf thanks for the tip, once I've decided which type I should buy I'll be trying the cords as mentioned.
              A Rickenbacker I'm just about to place the order.

But seriously get a decent guitar, cheap guitars really are awful.

Don't rule out getting a classical guitar. The neck is wider, the strings are softer and it sounds nicer. You can actually play great rock'n' roll on a classical guitar.

A Digiorgo (Brazilian guitar) is fantastic value for money I saw it on the net for $179. Really deep melodic sound. Interestingly slightly imperfect, but in spite of that fantastic sound. The South American guitars are great beacuse of the woods they used.

When I was learning the guitar I started out on steel string guitar, and my teacher was an ex-big band pro.. but suddenly discovered classical, and recommended I get a classical guitar. At the time I was taken aback because I'd been learning "plectrum" solos, but I was bowled over by my Brazilian guitar. Also you can play blues in a "classical" style. I play flamenco and blues on it.

Still get the guitar that suits you.
              Last edited by BlasterBates; 5 January 2007, 14:09.
              I'm alright Jack

Comment

Originally posted by threaded
                Acoustic, you can always put a towel inside it if your neighbours complain.

Would also say lessons are a good idea and classical guitar with a graded teacher. If you can't do scales you'll never do rock'n'roll 'cause it's mostly just syncopated scales. "Rock around the clock" for example. You never know, you might actually prefer classical guitar.

threaded in "learn to walk before trying to run" mode
                The guys going to be confused over classical (nylon string) and western style guitars
                The court heard Darren Upton had written a letter to Judge Sally Cahill QC saying he wasn’t “a typical inmate of prison”.

But the judge said: “That simply demonstrates your arrogance continues. You are typical. Inmates of prison are people who are dishonest. You are a thoroughly dishonestly man motivated by your own selfish greed.”

Comment

Listen to wot Cowboy bob says.

A teacher will give you the ability to play notes but will not give you the passion and innovation that you get from experimenting and finding out for yourself.

Along the way you''ll discover what you like, what you do best and then you can reach for the skies.

After this moment you can go into Vai territory and become an eternal student/technician of the guitar, or go down the Hendrix 'feeling and passion is everything' route.

Best bit - you are in control

Comment

well just spoken to my local music shop so I'll be poping down there today to see what they have....
                    SA says;
                    Well you looked so stylish I thought you batted for the other camp - thats like the ultimate compliment!

I couldn't imagine you ever having a hair out of place!

n5gooner is awarded +5 Xeno Geek Points.
                    (whatever these are)

Comment

Originally posted by Phoenix
                      NEVER!
                      Get your Acoustic and your Twelve Bore mixed up
                      no not a good idea - welcome back - where have you been hiding?
                      SA says;
                      Well you looked so stylish I thought you batted for the other camp - thats like the ultimate compliment!

I couldn't imagine you ever having a hair out of place!

n5gooner is awarded +5 Xeno Geek Points.
                      (whatever these are)

Comment

Working...
                      X