• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

[Spoilers] Game Of Thrones -Season Eight

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Halo Jones View Post
    I take that back..
    Well they are "dead-dead" now at least.
    “The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

Originally posted by shaunbhoy View Post
      Well they are "dead-dead" now at least.
      Time for the biggest funeral pyre the 7 kingdoms has ever seen, just to be sure.

On reflection more of the recognised characters should have succumbed to what at times seemed impossible odds. Far too much 'plot armour' for some to survive being swamped by multiple stabby and bitey dead on more than one occasion. If they wanted realism then some of those hit by the initial attack outside the castle wouldn't have lasted more than a few seconds, never mind what happened later inside the castle. Spoilt it a bit once you realised some of them were going to survive despite what was being thrown at them.

Watched it 'live' at 2am in the dark so wasn't too bad on my plasma. Way too dark in daytime unless you have blackout curtains. Probably done that way to keep the FX costs down as it was hard to make out the sheer number of undead until you saw the dragons burning huge swathes of them far from the battle lines, and they made barely a dent. So they should all have died and game over, NK wins. The writers cheated.
      Maybe tomorrow, I'll want to settle down. Until tomorrow, I'll just keep moving on.

Comment

Originally posted by Hobosapien View Post
        On reflection more of the recognised characters should have succumbed to what at times seemed impossible odds. Far too much 'plot armour' for some to survive being swamped by multiple stabby and bitey dead on more than one occasion. If they wanted realism then some of those hit by the initial attack outside the castle wouldn't have lasted more than a few seconds, never mind what happened later inside the castle. Spoilt it a bit once you realised some of them were going to survive despite what was being thrown at them.
        We've spent years getting used to the fact that anyone can die, and in the middle of the biggest battle ever the only real one to shed a tear over was Theon Greyjoy, Jorah Mormont and to a much lesser extend Lyanna Mormont (it was the way she died rather than who died that brought a lump to the throat).
        Last edited by SimonMac; 30 April 2019, 09:21.
        Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
        I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

that episode had it's issues but i still effing loved it

jon snow seemed to take the episode off - did bugger all really

couldn't tell how many dragons are left, white walker dragon is obviously gone but "Danys" dragon can't have survived all those white walkers despite shrugging them off, Jon's seemed to have taken a few fatal bites as well

the Sansa / Tyrion scene was a let down, they did the whole look and clasping at the dagger then charged out not to go out in a blaze of glory but rather run for safety

agree more characters should have been killed off, Sam and his missus, the little girl who wanted to fight like her brothers, should have killed a white walker only to be quickly swarmed, Brienne and Pod could have gone as well as the Baratheon bar steward

think the Arya scene could have been slowed down a bit too felt like a quick ending, i actually thought she was going to change faces with one of the Knight Kings lieutenants in order to get close, that might have been more dramatic then a random leap of faith

oh and typical that the brown guys are the sacrificial lambs at the start of the battle, although the flaming and subsequent extinguishing of the swords was pretty cool

(apologies of lengthy post - i just have to get this out)

Comment

Originally posted by filthy1980 View Post
            jon snow seemed to take the episode off - did bugger all really
            So did all the Starks other than Arya, and it was their home they were defending. Yet they all survived.

Can tell it's not GRRM writing this stuff, no major twists or ruthless outcomes, other than how easy the NK and his generals fell. At least have Bran do something other than stare and warg into a few crows for a fly around.

NK and Bran not saying a word just having a stare-off, yeah may as well just end it there, not exactly riveting conversation we're missing out on.

Why didn't anyone fight the white walkers, they just walked right through to the garden.
            Why didn't we see any previously killed characters engage the living, those killed in episode or previously like Hodor.
            Why didn't someone just shoot the undead dragon with a dragonglass arrow, or even the NK as he waltzed through the place. Presumably dragonglass works on them not just Valyrian steel, and if not it would have been good to show that , like they did with the NK and dragon flame.
            Why didn't they ask Melisandre to ressurect anyone before she slinked off. Seeing as she appears to have been the Lord of Light's nearest equivalent to the NK in terms of magic ability, couldn't she have resurrected all the newly fallen before the NK did. While I enjoyed her contribution massively, she was just a substitute for a box of matches.

So many missed opportunities. Still a fantastic episode (have watched it three times now ) and appreciate the effort that must have gone into making it, but could have been an absolute belter with a few improvements.
            Maybe tomorrow, I'll want to settle down. Until tomorrow, I'll just keep moving on.

Comment

Originally posted by Hobosapien View Post
              largely agree, but then i think about the practicalities of syncing up so many storylines and closing plot, you'd end up with a 5 hour episode

think they binned GRRM a few season back once they overtook the books, it does appear to be following a more conventional narrative / character arch now

to claim that back they need Dany to kill off jon snow and Arya to avenge not sure who claims the iron throne though don't suppose it'll matter at the end of the season

Comment

What's Game of Thrones?

Comment

Originally posted by filthy1980 View Post
                  largely agree, but then i think about the practicalities of syncing up so many storylines and closing plot, you'd end up with a 5 hour episode

think they binned GRRM a few season back once they overtook the books, it does appear to be following a more conventional narrative / character arch now

to claim that back they need Dany to kill off jon snow and Arya to avenge not sure who claims the iron throne though don't suppose it'll matter at the end of the season
                  Yes as fans we'd be happy with a longer season so they could do the story more justice. Split the battle over two or three episodes if the story demands it. It is supposed to be the biggest showdown the whole show has been building up to since the very first episode, no wonder many are complaining 'is that it'.

Sounds like those that had to make the episode are glad it's over and won't be rushing back to that kind of schedule in those conditions. I'm sure they'll get the recognition the episode deserves even if there are plenty of fans moaning about the story of it.

Game of Thones: Secrets behind Winterfell battle episode - BBC News

No idea what they're going to do to fill the remaining three extended episodes. The only thing I'm looking forward to now is 'cleganebowl'. I expect that will end in a stalemate with them both dead. Seems appropriate.

Comment

I did enjoy it but like most other people I could barely see anything.

I thought Arya's bit was pretty good, I like the way the dagger dropped to her other hand.

Lots of holes in the plot and for a dead king thousands of years old he could have planned his invasion a bit better. He was always going to have numbers and time on his hands.

Comment

It was okay. It did a good job of building tension but lost it with the absurd amount plot armour and there were a lot of anti climaxes, too many of the main characters did not really do anything of any significance.

They should have split it over two episodes and shown the main characters doing more. They could have ended the first episode with the heros repelling the first attack and Jon burning the Night King on a dragon outside the castle. Everyone could cheer and then you hear the cheers fade as the NK is unharmed and then see everyones reaction as he raises the dead, all of them inside and outside the castle.

Originally posted by woohoo View Post
                      I thought Arya's bit was pretty good, I like the way the dagger dropped to her other hand.
                      My wife uses that move, she has caught a few people with it!
                      "He's actually ripped" - Jared Padalecki

https://youtu.be/l-PUnsCL590?list=PL...dNeCyi9a&t=615

Comment

Working...
                      X