• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Malvolio this for you - no notice contracts

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Must admit I have had my swipe card taken off me and then been marched of a site once when a contract ended. Was quite amusing really as they then decided to change all the passwords in the test lab as I had domain admin access.

The dopey gits then had to call me back and ask for the passwords as they didn't know them. I still occasionally get calls from the guys in the test lab asking how something was set up, because they don't know and the current team lead can't work it out.

All a case of HR being paranoid, lets face it if I had really wanted to screw them over i'd have just created some extra domain admin accounts when I had access and not told them, or refused to provide the passwords they asked for.

I don't understand how HR can be so paranoid to be honest. If I wasn't trustworthy I should not have been given Domain Admin access in the first place, and secondly do they really think I would want to damage my professional reputation by screwing about with thier system once I had gone? If anything the whole marching off the premises thing would only increase the chances of pissing me off and encourage me to do something stupid...

Comment

Originally posted by Francko
      . So at least you have a little termination compensation which I don't really see it as a benefit for permies.
      But you're thinking like a permie, not a freelance. If there's no work for you, why should you get paid? Do you pay a plumber not to do anything when you don't have a leak?
      Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Originally posted by malvolio
        But you're thinking like a permie, not a freelance. If there's no work for you, why should you get paid? Do you pay a plumber not to do anything when you don't have a leak?
        No but if you agree to have a plumber to do a 2000 pounds work and after 10 minutes he's in your house you tell him to bugger off, you have the choice of paying the whole amount or have a pipe in your ____ .
        I've seen much of the rest of the world. It is brutal and cruel and dark, Rome is the light.

Comment

What I'm saying is that if you approach the whole contract as a business supplier and not an Office Angels temp, notice periods have no meaning. That they also help IR35 is merely a bonus.
          My problem with this malvilo is that generally it is not "you" deciding to work this way. It is "they". And IME, THEY wont agree to it.

tim

Comment

Notice periods are an agency thing, not a client one. I've yet to have a client refuse the no notice option and can't think of a business reason why they should want a defined notice period for them to give a contractor. And as I said, I'm not about to walk on a contract short of force majeure, so I don't really need one on my side.

If the agency want to put one in, then fine, but it is only so they can screw a bit more income out of the deal, it's not offering you any other protection and it potentially compromises your IR35 status.

Franko :
            No but if you agree to have a plumber to do a 2000 pounds work and after 10 minutes he's in your house you tell him to bugger off, you have the choice of paying the whole amount or have a pipe in your ____
            ...because you agreed a price for a piece of work, not a price for x hours undefined labour - not the same thing at all.
            Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Notice periods are an agency thing, not a client one. I've yet to have a client refuse the no notice option and can't think of a business reason why they should want a defined notice period for them to give a contractor. And as I said, I'm not about to walk on a contract short of force majeure, so I don't really need one on my side.

If the agency want to put one in, then fine, but it is only so they can screw a bit more income out of the deal, it's not offering you any other protection and it potentially compromises your IR35 status.

Franko :
              ...because you agreed a price for a piece of work, not a price for x hours undefined labour - not the same thing at all.
              £50 for hitting it with a hammer
              £1950 for knowing where to hit it with a hammer.

hth.

Churchill - In "Consultancy for beginners" mode!

Comment

Working...
              X