• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Oh Dear: Could a retirement mortgage help you stay in YOUR home

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oh Dear: Could a retirement mortgage help you stay in YOUR home

Oh Dear,

this uhh, doesn't look good,

Could a retirement mortgage help you stay in YOUR home? | Daily Mail Online

Good luck anybody in that situation.

But why did they even put themselves in that situation - greed .

Milan.

Originally posted by milanbenes View Post
    Oh Dear,

this uhh, doesn't look good,

Could a retirement mortgage help you stay in YOUR home? | Daily Mail Online

Good luck anybody in that situation.

But why did they even put themselves in that situation - greed .

Milan.
    Looks like it could be used like a variation on equity release? Probably not the intention as I only had a skim read of the article. If that is the case though it's certainly something I'd look into. As my wife and I don't have kids we'll be using all assets to help fund our retirement (as soon as possible), with anything left over going to charity. So if this is cheaper than equity release, we'd use it.

Comment

De rigueur where I live. But the loan can be multi-generational. I have a loan of about 25% of the value of the house. Interest only.

Originally posted by doconline View Post
      Looks like it could be used like a variation on equity release? Probably not the intention as I only had a skim read of the article. If that is the case though it's certainly something I'd look into. As my wife and I don't have kids we'll be using all assets to help fund our retirement (as soon as possible), with anything left over going to charity. So if this is cheaper than equity release, we'd use it.
      It'll be more expensive, since with equity release you don't make any repayments - the interest is added to the loan.
      Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

I'm in the same position as Milan so anything left goes to the sally army and the dogs home. Therefore we could buy our ideal home cash and then mortgage it to get a wad to spend on cruising

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
          De rigueur where I live. But the loan can be multi-generational. I have a loan of about 25% of the value of the house. Interest only.

It'll be more expensive, since with equity release you don't make any repayments - the interest is added to the loan.
          Hi NAT,

so what about the repayment of the capital ? |How does that work ?

Is the idea to put that amount into a higher earning vehicle and assuming the grand plan works enjoy the cream off the top at the end of the loan period ?

Bit risky for me.

Milan.

Comment

Originally posted by milanbenes View Post
            Hi NAT,

so what about the repayment of the capital ? |How does that work ?

Is the idea to put that amount into a higher earning vehicle and assuming the grand plan works enjoy the cream off the top at the end of the loan period ?

Bit risky for me.

Milan.
            Buy Tulips!
            Old Greg - In search of acceptance since Mar 2007. Hoping each leap will be his last.

Comment

well yeah and also it is aimed at people who are paying an interest only mortgage and expect to still have loads to pay when the mortgage finishes..

so aimed at muppets then really.

Comment

Originally posted by original PM View Post
                well yeah and also it is aimed at people who are paying an interest only mortgage and expect to still have loads to pay when the mortgage finishes..

so aimed at muppets then really.
                And aimed at people who want a big cash injection from their expensive asset to avoid selling down but don't want to part with it whilst they're alive.

Comment

If your house is large enough then just downsize.

We plan to downsize (relocate and buy something that needs less upkeep) next year, then if we're still kicking around at 75ish, downsize again to a retirement property.

The fly in the ointment is stamp duty but it's only really a problem for the first move. Cheaper than the loan costs and we'll have something to leave the kids.
                  ...my quagmire of greed....my cesspit of laziness and unfairness....all I am doing is sticking two fingers up at nurses, doctors and other hard working employed professionals...

Comment

Originally posted by Lockhouse View Post
                    If your house is large enough then just downsize.

We plan to downsize (relocate and buy something that needs less upkeep) next year, then if we're still kicking around at 75ish, downsize again to a retirement property.

The fly in the ointment is stamp duty but it's only really a problem for the first move. Cheaper than the loan costs and we'll have something to leave the kids.
                    But if you have the right size house in the right area and want to continue living there then this is a way to get a big cash injection to fund the last years of your life. It works if you don't have heirs or any need to leave a legacy

Comment

Working...
                    X