• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Why do people accept permie jobs?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by wendigo100
    I'm not advocating permiedom, just saying that all the bens, including those that others have mentioned, can add up and make it worthwhile.
    Wendigo but you should also consider the negative benefits of permiedom. I.e. expected overtime, office politics, expected ass-l1ck1ng, expected to become a manager, a clear idiot to give you a "performance" review, jealousy from colleagues paid less than you, feeling that you need to thank them anytime (for what???), etc. etc. In all a permanent job should be paid more to compensate really. Or is it just my contractor blood overwheelming me now?
    I've seen much of the rest of the world. It is brutal and cruel and dark, Rome is the light.

Comment

Originally posted by Francko
      Wendigo but you should also consider the negative benefits of permiedom. I.e. expected overtime, office politics, expected ass-l1ck1ng, expected to become a manager, a clear idiot to give you a "performance" review, jealousy from colleagues paid less than you, feeling that you need to thank them anytime (for what???), etc. etc. In all a permanent job should be paid more to compensate really. Or is it just my contractor blood overwheelming me now?
      Contractors suffer much the same, in my opinion. But I suppose it depends on what your field is.

I often work longer than standard hours for my daily fee, I smooze to the client to keep on their right side, permies are often jealous of my fee rate (not that I tell them what it is). The performance review is a lot more brutal too - the clients right to enforce instant termination not a chance to put errors right.

Comment

Originally posted by Churchill
        I wanted some stability in my life while I divorced the wife.

Also, guess what the sick bitch did today! She sent me an Xmas card that I sent to her years ago!

FFS!
        Yup, she doesn't want to let go. Always happens with wimmin at emotional times of the year like Xmas.
        "My God, it's huge!!"

Comment

Originally posted by Denny
          The performance review is a lot more brutal too - the clients right to enforce instant termination not a chance to put errors right.
          Absolutely! Black bag time!

Comment

[QUOTE=Francko]Give me a reason.

-More money
            -Ability to claim discrimation for stress and get a £8mil payout.

Comment

Originally posted by Churchill
              I wanted some stability in my life while I divorced the wife.

Also, guess what the sick bitch did today! She sent me an Xmas card that I sent to her years ago!

FFS!

Was it the actual card? i.e. to remind you what you wrote inside it?

Or did she just buy an identical card?
              The pope is a tard.

Comment

Supremo - I don't get it !! why would a husband give his wife a Xmas card?? is this an English custom? I understand about the birthday / Valentine and anniversary thing, but buying Xmas cards for your spouse?? do people also give cards for their kids too?

Comment

idelness

Give me a reason.

Nothing is permanent in this life. Isn't a permanent job an absurdity by its own definition? Besides, it has a contract and therefore it's a contract job too. It's simply being paid less.

Permies produce nothing, they do nothing - sometimes I think they are the smart ones they get paid for doing nothing beyind turning up, whereas we work our nuts off for what double or treble what they get paid for extending their social life.

permiedom = contractors-retirement

Comment

Give me a reason.

Nothing is permanent in this life. Isn't a permanent job an absurdity by its own definition? Besides, it has a contract and therefore it's a contract job too. It's simply being paid less.

In a word - Free training ( ok, that's 2 words )

All the rest is icing on the cake - Pension, healthcare, redundancy, bonuses etc.

It's worth sticking a permie role for 2 years just to milk the training budget for all you can get, then move on.
                    "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

Why? Because we have to of course, otherwise I'd still be loadsa-kerching-ing it out there!

Still, can always go back there when I had enough here

Comment

Working...
                      X