• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

80% of population growth from immigration

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
    Another point about the immigration figures which is total bollux is including students. There is a business model in the Uk whereby foreign students come to uni and are charged vast amounts which keeps the education sector afloat. Assuming these people are immigrants is a pile of tulipe.
    These lot disagree with you;

https://www.iom.int/who-is-a-migrant
    UNHCR - UNHCR viewpoint: 'Refugee' or 'migrant'
    Migrant | United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization
    Originally posted by Old Greg
    I admit I'm just a lazy, lying cretinous hypocrite and must be going deaf
    ♕Keep calm & carry on♕

Comment

Originally posted by Bean View Post
      You are assuming the 1st generation apply for citizenship (They don't always, i.e. Windrush), but let's assume that for now - my answer would be the same as Meridian has arrived at, the 2nd gen didn't immigrate as they were born here, so 2
      Then why did you say 3 if you're now saying 2?
      And if you are saying the second generation didn't immigrate, then are you saying that you disagree with Old Bean's source? Because if you do, you'd better take it up with him, not me. I'm not the one that has fallen for the propaganda.
      …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

And do you differentiate temporary migrants who pay to study from permanent ones, or do you prefer to lump them all together to make your numbers seem bigger?
        …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

There you go Mr Bean spreading lies again

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/educatio...s-exposed.html

So far around 2,000 universities and colleges have applied to join the new sponsorship register which will allow them to bring foreign students into Britain to study. Around 500 applications from colleges and universities haven't made it through our screening process and onto the list of approved institutions."

The Department of Innovation, Universities and Skills had previously removed nearly 300 bogus colleges from its list of education and training providers since January 1, 2005.
          Indeed its not like we have to pay for them turning up is it?

Its so blatant even the BBC couldn't ignore it.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-41966571

The chairwoman of Parliament's spending watchdog wants a police probe after the BBC's Panorama uncovered evidence of fraud in the student loan system.

One education agent was secretly filmed offering to get bogus students admitted into a government-approved private college for a £200 fee.

This was to allow the bogus students to fraudulently claim student loans.

Then for £1,500 a year, the agent offered to fake attendance records and to provide all their coursework.
          Of course we should just ignore students in the figures. Any idiot knows that (well AssGuru thinks he does).
          Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post
            And do you differentiate temporary migrants who pay to study from permanent ones, or do you prefer to lump them all together to make your numbers seem bigger?
            or like an intelligent person do you count them in & count them out, the difference is net student migration.

crayons on standby!

Comment

In my mind, there's a difference between a migrant and an immigrant, although people seem to use them interchangeably.
              The latter has permanent connotations - google immigrant and the first dictionary definition I found is "a person who comes to live permanently in a foreign country."
              Whereas a migrant might be there temporarily in the sense of birds or fruit-pickers migrating from season to season.

So students may well be migrants but not necessarily immigrants.
              There is some dispute about definitions, but however you define it, that's the distinction I'm making: temporary versus permanent movement.

Counting students who form the bulk of "immigrants" gives a wholly distorted view of how many people are settling in the UK permanently.
              Hard Brexit now!
              #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post
                or like an intelligent person do you count them in & count them out, the difference is net student migration.

crayons on standby!
                Does the government do this? The immigration figures every year include all students who entered that year, do they not?
                Hard Brexit now!
                #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post
                  Then why did you say 3 if you're now saying 2?
                  And if you are saying the second generation didn't immigrate, then are you saying that you disagree with Old Bean's source? Because if you do, you'd better take it up with him, not me. I'm not the one that has fallen for the propaganda.
                  I never stated MY answer was 3, just that;
                  "3, looks like the most probable answer, given the usage of the term 2nd generation immigrant by various outlets etc..."

MY answer was and is, 2.

I'll reiterate asking you to retract your accusation against me, before 'I take up' anything else with anyone.....so c'mon, let's have it, a nice simple 'I was wrong' should suffice...
                  Originally posted by Old Greg
                  I admit I'm just a lazy, lying cretinous hypocrite and must be going deaf
                  ♕Keep calm & carry on♕

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
                    Does the government do this? The immigration figures every year include all students who entered that year, do they not?
                    nope

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/u...-a8138206.html

Theresa May has stood firm on plans to include foreign students in immigration figures despite warnings she could face a damaging Commons defeat on the policy.

The Prime Minister is understood to be increasingly isolated in her belief that overseas students should be counted as migrants in official immigration statistics, a position she has held since she was Home Secretary.

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post
                      or like an intelligent person ....
                      I wouldn't talk about intelligence if I were you.
                      If you were intelligent you would be a highly paid successful contractor/professional instead of eking out a living ins a series of non-jobs, as you do.
                      Hard Brexit now!
                      #prayfornodeal

Comment

Working...
                      X