• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

What do you do?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SallyAnne
    I currently post on this board, watch Vanessa's real lives, and occassioanlly pop into town for a coffee.

But in the past I have been a Oracle Applications Developer - primarily HRMS and Payroll.

VERY exciting stuff
    Oracle Application! That's the pinnacle of Oracle development (as far as developer rates go!)

How did you get into it?

Comment

SAS development - mainly infrastructure and DI/DQ, but also BI type work if I want to take it easy for a while.

And no, I'm not SASGURU. There is only one SASGURU (thank God).
      Illegitimus non carborundum est!

Comment

Embedded software, when I can get it.

But more and more I'm being asked to 'integrate' (a flash word for test) poorly written code supplied by some numpty in Asia. I'm turning this work down in future, looks like early retirement for me.

tim

Comment

Originally posted by tim123
          Embedded software, when I can get it.

But more and more I'm being asked to 'integrate' (a flash word for test) poorly written code supplied by some numpty in Asia. I'm turning this work down in future, looks like early retirement for me.

tim
          wrong approach... look on it as a cash cow -it'll keep you going beyond retirement - frustrating but lucrative
          How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think

Comment

>Sorry if this has been done before, but I'm bored....
            >
            >What does everyone do to earn their crust?

niche oracle apps

Comment

Business Objects, Crystal, Reporting Services, SQL Server
              Carpe Pactum

(does fuzzy logic tickle?)

Comment

Originally posted by To BI or not to BI?
                Business Objects, Crystal, Reporting Services, SQL Server
                Ah, Business Objects - those were the days.

Comment

Originally posted by Troll
                  wrong approach... look on it as a cash cow -it'll keep you going beyond retirement - frustrating but lucrative
                  Nah, I hate doing it.

To quote something that somebody else said on the board. I'd rather do an interesting job for 200 a day than a boring one for 2000.

tim

Comment

Originally posted by tim123
                    Nah, I hate doing it.

To quote something that somebody else said on the board. I'd rather do an interesting job for 200 a day than a boring one for 2000.

tim
                    Wahoo! I'm halfway there..... Doh!
                    Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Comment

Originally posted by Cowboy Bob
                      Java Lead Developer/Architect
                      Originally posted by DimPrawn
                      I architect .NET systems to replace the obsolete by design Java systems that Cowboy Bob builds.

Oh Architect Schmarchitect!

Everyone's a feckin 'architect'.

Listen up.

Real architects are very clever, creative, educated people who design huge buildings and control vast project teams with even vaster budgets -- they don't create tulipty little bits of of software under Linux/Windows.

Being an Architect is HARD. There are lots of very, very difficult things you have to really understand - not the same as winging it with an O'Reilly book on your lap!

It's like the bloody "I'm a professional" thing all over again.

The correct term is CODE MONKEY

Cummon - let's all own up and be Code Monkeys - there's nothing to be ashamed of (mostly).

You've come right out the other side of the forest of irony and ended up in the desert of wrong.

Comment

Working...
                      X