• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Commuting distance

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by threaded
    I think I'd like to cycle it, maybe take the train or drive when it's a bit wet & windy.
    You'd be ok down hill!

Comment

Originally posted by Cowboy Bob
      I did a 150 mile round trip for a seven week contract a few years ago. It nearly killed me. Never again. Book a B&B/Travelodge for 4 nights a week and commute Monday and Friday. You know it makes sense...
      I have to go to a training course in York in the new year. Booked last week and got 5 nights (sun - thur) at a travelodge for £75 inc VAT. Bargain!

Comment

Originally posted by Churchill
        You'd be ok down hill!
        For the current client I've work out a route where it's downhill both ways.
        Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
        threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

Looking at you Threaded, it's been downhill for a long time.

Comment

Originally posted by threaded
            For the current client I've work out a route where it's downhill both ways.
            Not another of your clients about to go titsup?

Comment

10 miles each way. Still - after christmas it will be 1 minute to walk downstairs to my office as I'm having some quality off-time instead...

Older and ...well, just older!!

Comment

I do Derby - Leeds Leeds - Derby, every day by train.
                "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
                - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Originally posted by Sockpuppet
                  I have to go to a training course in York in the new year. Booked last week and got 5 nights (sun - thur) at a travelodge for £75 inc VAT. Bargain!
                  Thanks for the tip - I've just managed to do the same for the "s**t hits the fan" final week of my upcoming contract...

Cojak - what kind of work do you do? I've spent the last 2 months trying to get a contract in Leeds but all I've got to show for it is pleasant conversations with XX agents...

Comment

140 miles per day is a lot - what times are you planning on traveling and where to/from. That will make a huge difference. I usually limit things to time. An hour each way is probably tops. If you start going over that, say 90 mins each way, then you are spending 12.5% of your day commuting. If you work 48 weeks of the year then you would have spent just a bit under January sat in your car commuting. At 2 hours per day this drops down to just under 3 weeks!
                    Rule Number 1 - Assuming that you have a valid contract in place always try to get your poo onto your timesheet, provided that the timesheet is valid for your current contract and covers the period of time that you are billing for.

I preferred version 1!

Comment

120 miles round trip but only two or three days a week.

I always used to use country lanes when I worked in the same area a few years ago, which is shorter, but since then they've put 30 mph speed limits all over the place and traffic volume seems to be twice as bad as it was.

On roads like that you only need one slow barstard and it holds everyone up, and there aren't many safe passing places.

Too fiddly, so I mostly use motorways now.

Comment

Working...
                      X