• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Commuting distance

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

About an hour each way for this gig. This is my last day, next contract working from home.
    Me, me, me...

Comment

Currently travel by train into central london...total journey time from when I leave home to when I get to site is 1 hour 30 and I only live 35 miles from london

Still, at least I am home in the evening.

I never work far enough away where I can't go home at night.

Comment

My current contract is roughly 85 miles from home (170 mile round trip). I currently stay down there on a monday night, work from home wednesday and friday and do the round trip on a thursday. Every so often I have to be there more days a week - next week I am down there all week.

The driving is a pain - especially now in the winter as I am using dark country lanes. In the summer it was fine - top down and cruising home!! If I can get away at a reasonable time I am home by 7.30pm which is OK but I cant do early morning starts! I have found it tiring for the past 10 months - especially with a newborn who isn't sleeping through the nights yet.....!!

Bottom line - if you need to be at home every night avoid a long commute, otherwise stay away from home a few nights.

Comment

I'm doing a 100 mile round trip five days a week and its tulip ! I can do it in an hour on a good day but lots of longer trips as I dice with the M6/M62 nightmare and probably nearer 3 hrs total each day. I wouldn't tackle much more than that but its better than Travel Lodge tedium just about.

Comment

when southwest trains aren't all fkced up my journey take 1 hour 30 door to canary wharf door.. when they play up I get very very upset and wonder what the hell I am doing

this past week has been most pleasant however...
            mmmmm stella

Comment

Hate commuting so much that i moved into london it's self 10 years ago. Now max i will do is 45 mins, average is 20 mins, current contract (and previous) is either a 15 min walk or 10 mins by public transport

Comment

Working...
              X