• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Giving personal details to an agency leads to slanging match.

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A client will, quite reasonably, want to confirm who you are.

For starters, they'll be letting you access their sensitive data. It's an operational risk that they need to mitigate.
    Secondly, they're recruiting you based on your ability and experience; if you're not you, then who are they paying the £500 a day for? Some charlatan imposter who is worth £200 a day tops?

A passport or driving licence and birth certificate combination is acceptable at all screenings for banks. Any suggestion of a future requirement for blood, inside leg measurements or other guff is flappery of the highest order.
    The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Originally posted by billybiro View Post
      Ahem.

"The slippery slope fallacy assumes without evidence that if we take a particular step which in itself doesn’t cause a problem, it is nevertheless the first in a series of steps that will lead inevitably to some undesired outcome."

Except that we've got decades of evidence that the government, commercial businesses and other organisations are collecting more and more of our personal data.

Slippery Slope - Non-fallacious usage
      So explain some reasonable possible scenarios which will lead to clients in the future demanding:

a blood sample too? A DNA sample?

Let them come into your home and rifle through your belongings?

Comment

Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
        So explain some reasonable possible scenarios which will lead to clients in the future demanding:
        Suspected rogue NSA agent. Beyond that, can't think of anything that would warrant more than the standard operational risk procedures that banks have in place.
        The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Originally posted by LondonManc View Post
          Secondly, they're recruiting you based on your ability and experience; if you're not you, then who are they paying the £500 a day for? Some charlatan imposter who is worth £200 a day tops?
          No they're not. The client isn't recruiting me at all. They're engaging the services of AgencyCo Ltd, who in turn are engaging the services of MyCo Ltd.

A passport or driving licence and birth certificate combination is acceptable at all screenings for banks.
          Yes, because only the banking industry uses the services of IT contractors.

Comment

No they're not. The client isn't recruiting me at all. They're engaging the services of AgencyCo Ltd, who in turn are engaging the services of MyCo Ltd.
            How many consultants does YourCo have at its disposal? Will it be just you going on site? Are they setting up a network account for BillyBiro or YourCo?

Yes, because only the banking industry uses the services of IT contractors.
            I've contracted in construction, media, automotive, banking, other financial services, internet and other industries. They've all been pretty keen on knowing who was having access to their network and the information contained therein. You carry on telling them no, though. Lead on Citizen Smith

Comment

I've contracted in construction, media, automotive, banking, other financial services, internet and other industries. They've all been pretty keen on knowing who was having access to their network and the information contained therein. You carry on telling them no, though. Lead on Citizen Smith
              I'll add to your list: every multi-national I have worked for, some who are in the above sectors, others in pharma, medical, food and drinks, aeronautics, defence and logistics
              …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post
                I'll add to your list: every multi-national I have worked for, some who are in the above sectors, others in pharma, medical, food and drinks, aeronautics, defence and logistics
                I'll add to your list : every two bit company paying crap rates and accepting just the dross of what is left in the market.
                'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Old Greg View Post

a blood sample too? A DNA sample?

Let them come into your home and rifle through your belongings?
                  https://www.mcknights.com/news/emplo...rticle/701535/

That for starters. In addition, aren't hair/blood samples required for SC Enhanced clearance already, and in some sensitive jobs? (to test for the use of recreational drugs).

Comment

Originally posted by man View Post
                    https://www.mcknights.com/news/emplo...rticle/701535/

That for starters. In addition, aren't hair/blood samples required for SC Enhanced clearance already, and in some sensitive jobs? (to test for the use of recreational drugs).
                    You posted a link about fingerprint scanning in the US for employees clocking in and out, not anything relevant to how agencies requesting to view a passport so as to ascertain identity and right to work in the UK, might lead to their requesting DNA samples.

Comment

Originally posted by man View Post
                      In addition, aren't hair/blood samples required for SC Enhanced clearance already,
                      Absolutely not.
                      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Working...
                      X