• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Contracting with mental illness

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

OP - ignore some of the bell-ends on here.

Got personal experience and its not a laugh. I was pretty bad myself years ago and its tough at times.

Yes most people are right. You're obviously not going to get the support of the client like you would if you were a permie. And ultimately, if you can't manage they are going to get rid ultimately.

BUT, I've found, and it depends on a personal level here, that MOST people can behave like decent human beings and help IF THEY CAN. When I was really bad I didn't tell all clients, but a few did know because I knew were decent people. Yes like I said, officially, you're never going to get anywhere but it depends on the person.

I worked on client site once for a lovely Finnish lady. I was having hard time and she knew the score and did all she could. Really nice lady. It never got further up the chain, but she helped where she could. Just because you're a contractor doesnt mean the people you work with are going to treat you like tulipe.

Then again, I'd say one thing. If client is tulipe, or you get nowhere, and/or the poeple there are tossers and it all causes you more grief then get out of there. No amount of money is worth making youurself ill or making yourself worse.
    Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
      Hardly a medical issue though is it?
      Personality disorders are in the DSM but it is controversial.

Comment

Originally posted by DaveMK View Post
        Thanks for the feedback guys! I admit I don't know anything about the contracting world myself and it seems I was naive in employers' attitudes towards contractors and the protection they should really but apparently don't have around illnesses.
        They aren't our employers. They are our clients.
        I hope those unsympathetic to the issue don't suffer it in future or know anyone who does, as it's not very pleasant and doesn't garner much sympathy!

This has been very useful, nice one!
        You asked a question about contracting and how it affects your relationship with your client. You are going to get some pretty cold feedback on that. That's business and what you asked. If you'd asked for some warm fluffy hugs because of yours situation you would have got them. Don't confuse unsympathetic with a cold factual answer to your question.

Next time if you want to avoid unkind/unsympathetic remarks don't post in General. The subtitle to this forum should have been a hint. 'All hope abandon ye who enter here. Seriously.'

Hope you get your situation sorted.
        'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
          Hardly a medical issue though is it?

We are in General here.
          'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Firstly - You have my sympathy, I suffered a severe bout of depression lasting a couple of years and could have cared less if a bus took me out of the game during that time.
            However - Employer during that time would have been none the wiser, same if I had problems at home, bereavements etc etc.
            As a contractor I have always been ultra low maintenance, I see it as first on the list of requirements, alongside getting on with whoever is there.
            It's harsh but that is the game we are in, they might not even tell you but you will find contracts ending at renewals/no repeats/offers not happening as time goes on.
            Change medication, straighten your backbone and fake the fck out of it if you have to but don't take it to work....

Comment

Originally posted by Zigenare View Post
              Bottom line is don't contract within IR35 unless you need a crutch, physical or mental.

Btw, I don't drink and I'm not from Scotland.

Careful OG, you're beginning to make sasguru look smart!
              You did get a 2-2 from an obscure poly though?
              Hard Brexit now!
              #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
                You did get a 2-2 from an obscure poly though?
                No Desmond for me.
                Old Greg - In search of acceptance since Mar 2007. Hoping each leap will be his last.

Comment

Originally posted by lukemg View Post
                  Firstly - You have my sympathy, I suffered a severe bout of depression lasting a couple of years and could have cared less if a bus took me out of the game during that time.
                  However - Employer during that time would have been none the wiser, same if I had problems at home, bereavements etc etc.
                  As a contractor I have always been ultra low maintenance, I see it as first on the list of requirements, alongside getting on with whoever is there
                  It's harsh but that is the game we are in, they might not even tell you but you will find contracts ending at renewals/no repeats/offers not happening as time goes on.
                  Change medication, straighten your backbone and fake the fck out of it if you have to but don't take it to work....
                  Yes, but it's much harder these days when you're expected to be sanguine in morning standups, pair with someone etc.

In the past, I just used to knuckle down and churn out the end product - I was fine and it even helped my depression having something to concentrate on.

I find all this enforced interaction in Agile environments hard and don't enjoy it. And, no, I'm not at all a person who is socially awkward.

But, as you say, I have been pulled up on things like "not being a good fit for the team" etc. and it has led to contracts not getting renewed, though to be honest, I find I can only handle 3 months at a time all things considered.

Comment

Originally posted by Zigenare View Post
                    No Desmond for me.
                    Not at all like our old friend Whinestrone, are you?
                    Completely different in fact.
                    Hard Brexit now!
                    #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
                      Not at all like our old friend Whinestrone, are you?
                      Completely different in fact.
                      Indeed - but who am I...?
                      Old Greg - In search of acceptance since Mar 2007. Hoping each leap will be his last.

Comment

Working...
                      X