• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Bit of help...

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What sort of car? My old Corsa the handbrake used to jump off sometimes. Usually just after I put it on, but once when I got out of the car and slammed hatchback - cue me chasing it across tesco carpark.

Reported it to the garage, they couldn't find anything.

Just had a handbrake recall.

Unless you know the missus you forgot to put it on, have a google and see if you can't get the manufacturer to pay for it.

Comment

https://www.express.co.uk/life-style...ault-handbrake

Well that's inneresting - I've always pressed the button when applying the handbrake. Thought you were supposed to.

Comment

Originally posted by mudskipper View Post

Well that's inneresting - I've always pressed the button when applying the handbrake. Thought you were supposed to.
        Press the button to release; have never pressed it to engage

Comment

innersting

my missus always moans at me for not pressing the button....

so ha I was right

always a first time I suppose.

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
            Press the button to release; have never pressed it to engage
            You could argue both actions are correct - the pressing of the button to engage means less wear on the ratchety mechanism, however I like a manly pull against the ratchet similar to winding up a trebuchant- thereby giving a reassuring tension on the cable
            I'm not sure girlies have sufficient upper body strength to tension without using the ratchet

or buy a car with an electric hand brake

Comment

Originally posted by Benny View Post
              or buy a car with an electric hand brake
              Anton Yelchin might disagree.
              When the fun stops, STOP.

Comment

Originally posted by DoctorStrangelove View Post
                Anton Yelchin might disagree.
                Through the medium of a Medium?
                Old Greg - In search of acceptance since Mar 2007. Hoping each leap will be his last.

Comment

Originally posted by Zigenare View Post
                  Btw, why not buy an automatic? That would have stopped your car from rolling across the road.
                  No need, just get into the habit of leaving the manual in gear, unless you are parking on a steep hill that's plenty enough to ensure the car stays in place.

Comment

Originally posted by sal View Post
                    No need, just get into the habit of leaving the manual in gear, unless you are parking on a steep hill that's plenty enough to ensure the car stays in place.
                    Which i always do! (or the missus does depending on who you want to believe)

I and the missus have been driving for like 27 years and never done anything like it

ah well just getting old I guess!

Comment

Originally posted by original PM View Post
                      Which i always do! (or the missus does depending on who you want to believe)

I and the missus have been driving for like 27 years and never done anything like it

ah well just getting old I guess!
                      Simple Solution : Take the car off her before she kills someone next time.
                      Old Greg - In search of acceptance since Mar 2007. Hoping each leap will be his last.

Comment

Working...
                      X