• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Question for Musicians

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

By the way the Scotspine the guitar does sound good , I've only just started, so I need to look around but just to get my bearings, but I may get back to you on this.
    I'm alright Jack

Comment

Some say The best sounding guitars are the stolen ones.

Dont equate price with how good a guitar sounds - back in 1985 I bought an EKO Jumbo Rio Grande acoustic for a little over a tenner from an Italian handbag shop in South London - never knew how they happened to have three EKOs in stock altough EKO was an Italian company - go figure.

And no they didnt throw a handbag in with it.

Anyway that acoustic sounded fantastic - I had no less than three offers for it.

Sadly years later ,one early Sunday morning after a party I took the guitar on a South Lonodn train - woke up just at my stop , West Norwood - ran out and remembered I had left my guitar on the train.

Alas !

So - if anyone out there happens to have a battered black EKO Rio Grande - gimme it back !

Comment

Originally posted by AlfredJPruffock
        Dont equate price with how good a guitar sounds - back in 1985 I bought an EKO Jumbo Rio Grande acoustic for a little over a tenner from an Italian handbag shop in South London - never knew how they happened to have three EKOs in stock altough EKO was an Italian company - go figure.
        Memories! My first guitar was an EKO Navajo 12 that I bought for £25. I didn't know just how good a guitar it was and eventually swapped it for a crappy classical guitar cos it had black nylon strings, ffs.

I just googled that guitar and they're still selling 2nd hand for around 200 euro
        Last edited by Cliphead; 11 December 2006, 10:32.
        Me, me, me...

Comment

Originally posted by BlasterBates
          I'm looking for tips on Guitars. Ideal would be a Gibson semi-acoustic, a thin one (not Jazz), but any other makes which come close. What I don't want is heavy metal fuzz, punk guitar sound.
          What's your budget? Unlimited funds means a custom build job followed by a big name like Gibson / Gretsch / Fender and then down to the copies and Eastern models: Epiphone or Samick for the smaller sums.

Remember that factors like strings, amp and pedals can drastically change the sound that your chosen guitar has though you are right to start in the best place for your preferred noise.

Comment

Originally posted by Cliphead
            Memories! My first guitar was an EKO Navajo 12 that I bought for £25. I didn't know just how good a guitar it was and eventually swapped it for a crappy classical guitar cos it had black nylon strings, ffs.

I just googled that guitar and they're still selling 2nd hand for around 200 euro
            I still have a battered heavyweight EKO 12 string - it was an excellent guitar for busking with as it made a very effective club should anybody be less than appreciative of ones efforts.

Excellent for those old 12 stings favs like Starman and the like.

Didnt know what time it was
            The lights were low
            Leaned back on my Radio
            Some Cat was playing some RockNRoll
            Lot of soul - he said

PS the intro - play a Bb Major (1st fret) and sound the open E string to give that dischord then a Fretted F major (1st Fret) ... then the good bit Ab Maj (5th fret) then Bb Maj (7th fret) ...then to G minor 7th for the ' Didnt know what time it was...'
            Last edited by AlfredJPruffock; 11 December 2006, 14:50.

Comment

Thanks for the advice...

I've never had a really good Guitar, well electric one, I survived with my cheap Japanese copy of some famous type (whatever that was) but I have played someone's Gibson and it was ideal, semi-acoustic but not sure of the number.

I think the guitar that Scotspine is selling would be probably be what I'm looking for.
              I'm alright Jack

Comment

Thanks for the advice...

I've never had a really good Guitar, well electric one, I survived with my cheap Japanese copy of some famous type (whatever that was) but I have played someone's Gibson and it was ideal, semi-acoustic but not sure of the number.

I think the guitar that Scotspine is selling would be probably be what I'm looking for.
                My advice is to visit a good stockist of second hand guitars.

I won't advice you as to what model or type of guitar to purchase - all guitars vary and only you can decide what sounds right for you - dont wasted your time poring over guitar mags - just chose the guitar that looks, sounds and feels right - you will know that only after you sit down and play it.

Apart from saving money by buying second hand ,new guitars have new strings and amkes it difficult to assess ,you cant really tell how a new guitar it will wear through time - a used guitar is the way to go.

Comment

Have a look at this place and build the guitar of your dreams, select body style, neck, woods, frets and just about every detail...
                  Warmoth Guitars

Comment

To get back to more important things

What about a Rickenbacker, these are quite reasonable £500 secondhand.

Opinions ?? Anybody played one ?
                    I'm alright Jack

Comment

To get back to more important things

What about a Rickenbacker, these are quite reasonable £500 secondhand.

Opinions ?? Anybody played one ?
                      I have a Rickenbacker 360/12 (aswell as a 1972 Les Paul Custom and 1987 Telecaster ) - lovely guitar, great for the more jangly kinda thing, but not so good for more riff based tunes. If you got the 6-string version, it would probably be more adaptable.

Got it running through a Fender Vibrolux and Vox AC30, as well as more effects than I need, but can get some cool Jonny Greenwood style noises!!

Best effect - Electro Harmonix Micro Synth.

Get one. They're the b*llocks!!
                      Call the cops

Comment

Working...
                      X