• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Give the man a medal, don't arrest him...

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm good with swarm.

Comment

Horde as well, that works.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladyuk View Post
        I thought you might be able to work out for yourself why it is dehumanising, but let me help.

'Import' is a word which is used for good and services, not for humans. Humans are neither goods or services (although you appear to be suggesting the latter, when you should instead stop digging). If you use 'import' for humans, you are using a verb, which is not intended for humans. You are either saying that humans are literally goods or services, or you are using a metaphor to liken humans to good or services. Either way, you are using dehumanising language.

That is YOUR OPINION, I have quoted lots of respected institutions whose job it is to use English language to spread information where they have all used a variation of my words. Those are examples from experts, yours is as usual opinionated twaddle.

As I said language evolves. A group of us had this discussion the other day, over the use of the word Chair rather than Chairman. Now technically Chairman is correct and not gender specific (look it up). However we came to the conclusion its worth amending to make people feel more welcome.
        Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by minestrone View Post
          Horde as well, that works.
          I'm not good with either they suggest animal like behaviour which even for convicted criminals is not acceptable.
          Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post
            That is YOUR OPINION, I have quoted lots of respected institutions whose job it is to use English language to spread information where they have all used a variation of my words. Those are examples from experts, yours is as usual opinionated twaddle.

As I said language evolves. A group of us had this discussion the other day, over the use of the word Chair rather than Chairman. Now technically Chairman is correct and not gender specific (look it up). However we came to the conclusion its worth amending to make people feel more welcome.
            On the other hand you like using the word "import" to make humans feel like scum and unwelcome even if they have come here legally, like most European citizens under the freedom of movement directive, and are law abiding.
            "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

We are animals and a substantial part of our behaviour is a result of that.

Comment

Yes, Chair has the meaning you describe:

chair
                NOUN
                1A separate seat for one person, typically with a back and four legs.

Example sentencesSynonyms
                1.1the chair
                short for electric chair
                Example sentencesSynonyms
                2The person in charge of a meeting or of an organization (used as a neutral alternative to chairman or chairwoman)

‘she's the chair of a research committee’
                So does Chairman

chairman
                NOUNplural chairmen, plural chairmen
                1A person chosen to preside over a meeting.

‘the chairman of the conference’
                More example sentences
                Language changes and a respected institutions whose job it is to define and describe English words updates its definition.

'Import' however is a word that is used for goods and services. To use it for humans is to dehumanise. That may be my OPINION, but it's a clearly reasoned one. You seem to have no convincing alternative position. Instead you appear to Google and then quote other similar uses of dehumanising language. And then you give some examples of words that have in fact changed their meaning, as evidences by the OED, which is contrary to the case with 'import'.

Comment

I'm not good with either they suggest animal like behaviour which even for convicted criminals is not acceptable.
                  Whereas goods and services like nature is perfectly acceptable!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladyuk View Post
                    Whereas goods and services like nature is perfectly acceptable!
                    We are all selling our own goods (Time) and services (work) when we invoice.......
                    Originally posted by Old Greg
                    I admit I'm just a lazy, lying cretinous hypocrite and must be going deaf
                    ♕Keep calm & carry on♕

Comment

Originally posted by Bean View Post
                      We are all selling our own goods (Time) and services (work) when we invoice.......
                      Indeed. But that is what we sell, not what we are.

Comment

Working...
                      X