• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Give the man a medal, don't arrest him...

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Don't really care about getting accused of using "dehumanising language", cultures are not equal.

Europe does not sit on magic soil. The world has tulipholes and that is down to the people and their culture.

Comment

Originally posted by minestrone View Post
      Don't really care about getting accused of using "dehumanising language",
      I don't imagine you do.

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post
        These are significant sources who did not consider it dehumanising, maybe you should reconsider your OPINION?
        Because I am clearly right and you are clearly wrong.

MENU
        We use cookies to enhance your experience on our website. By continuing to use our website, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. You can change your cookie settings at any time.ContinueFind out more
        Home British & World English import

Definition of import in English:

import
        VERB
        [WITH OBJECT]
        Pronunciation /ɪmˈpɔːt//ˈɪmpɔːt/
        1Bring (goods or services) into a country from abroad for sale.

‘supermarkets may no longer import cheap jeans from Bulgaria’
        More example sentencesSynonyms
        1.1 Introduce (an idea) from a different place or context.
        ‘new beliefs were often imported by sailors’
        More example sentences
        1.2Computing Transfer (data) into a file or document.
        Example sentences
        2archaic Indicate or signify.

‘having thus seen, what is imported in a Man's trusting his Heart’
        2.1 Express or make known.
        with clause ‘they passed a resolution importing that they relied on His Majesty's gracious promise’
        More example sentences
        https://en.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/import

Comment

Originally posted by adubya View Post
          Martin shot the guys inside his house didn't he ?

"Martin shot three times towards the intruders (once when they were in the stairwell and twice more when they were trying to flee through the window of an adjacent ground floor room)"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tony_Martin_(farmer)
          He was also a victim of sustained persecution which he reported to the Police a number of times. They of course did sod all.

The survivor of the shooting Fearon of course re offended dealing Heroin. Both surviving "Gentlemen" (Fearon & Bark the Getaway driver) had a long history of crime. Not a lot is said about the lad Barras and I suspect he was fairly innocent but he was clearly on a burglary where they knew the owner would be home and they believed had been disarmed.

Now I suspect Martin over reacted and sounds mentally unstable and therefore unfit to have weapons. If it had been a legal shotgun, he had killed Fearon not Barras and he hadn't shot at the scrumper I suspect he would have been found innocent.

My parents who lived in a rural area were burgled 30 years ago by a pair of burglars on bail who comitted 30 other burglaries that weekend including stealing 2 shotguns as most farmers have them. Its a fairly common crime as many shotguns are heirlooms.

So Martin wasn't to know the 3 young men burgling him weren't armed. Fearon had served a year for wounding so he was no angel.
          Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

He was also a victim of sustained persecution which he reported to the Police a number of times. They of course did sod all.

The survivor of the shooting Fearon of course re offended dealing Heroin. Both surviving "Gentlemen" (Fearon & Bark the Getaway driver) had a long history of crime. Not a lot is said about the lad Barras and I suspect he was fairly innocent but he was clearly on a burglary where they knew the owner would be home and they believed had been disarmed.

Now I suspect Martin over reacted and sounds mentally unstable and therefore unfit to have weapons. If it had been a legal shotgun, he had killed Fearon not Barras and he hadn't shot at the scrumper I suspect he would have been found innocent.

My parents who lived in a rural area were burgled 30 years ago by a pair of burglars on bail who comitted 30 other burglaries that weekend including stealing 2 shotguns as most farmers have them. Its a fairly common crime as many shotguns are heirlooms.

So Martin wasn't to know the 3 young men burgling him weren't armed. Fearon had served a year for wounding so he was no angel.
            The Tony Martin case is an unusual one, in terms of the firearm and his mental state.

However, it's not especially relevant today, as the law has been changed since the case in favour of the householder. There's a pretty good summary here. https://www.independent.co.uk/news/u...-a8290441.html

Comment

Originally posted by northernladyuk View Post
              I don't imagine you do.
              If you think a bit of compelled speech will stop the children of recent migrants stabbing one another be my guest in displaying your rank stupidity.

Comment

Because I am clearly right and you are clearly wrong.

https://en.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/import
                It does not say using it for people is dehumanising. Do please point to where that is stated or find a real example. The importation of services might well cover people in this context.

https://en.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/service

And of course the use of language evolves daily soon the definition may be revised to include people as it seems to becoming more common.

As I said it is your opinion and I'm quite happy to be in the same school as the Times, The Economist & the Leader of the opposition I can't really see the reason for your confidence while the best you can come up with is SueEllen & MF.

Oh Look

https://www.independent.co.uk/voices...-a7583376.html

The assumption among British politicians is that EU migration post-Brexit will be like a tap that can be turned on and off. They will import any new workers we genuinely need, they will 'manage' migration, they will 'take back control'. But what if the tap is turned and no water comes out?
                Those scummy union types

https://www.prospectmagazine.co.uk/p...-utterly-wrong

Aunty

EU needs migrant labour reform - France's Macron - BBC News

The building industry is a key focus of complaints about imported EU workers in France.
                The hate has spread to Malta

https://www.timesofmalta.com/article...o-malta.663371

Rejoice Comrade

https://morningstaronline.co.uk/arti...say-communists

He highlighted a string of rulings by the European Court of Justice to restrict the rights of elected governments and trade unions to take action to protect imported, outsourced or redundant workers.
                Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by minestrone View Post
                  If you think a bit of compelled speech will stop the children of recent migrants stabbing one another be my guest in displaying your rank stupidity.
                  When you have learned how to follow an argument, feel free to join in. Until then, I'll leave you with this.

Comment

It does not say using it for people is dehumanising. Do please point to where that is stated or find a real example. The importation of services might well cover people in this context.
                    I thought you might be able to work out for yourself why it is dehumanising, but let me help.

'Import' is a word which is used for good and services, not for humans. Humans are neither goods or services (although you appear to be suggesting the latter, when you should instead stop digging). If you use 'import' for humans, you are using a verb, which is not intended for humans. You are either saying that humans are literally goods or services, or you are using a metaphor to liken humans to good or services. Either way, you are using dehumanising language.

Comment

I thought you might be able to work out for yourself why it is dehumanising, but let me help.

'Import' is a word which is used for good and services, not for humans. Humans are neither goods or services (although you appear to be suggesting the latter, when you should instead stop digging). If you use 'import' for humans, you are using a verb, which is not intended for humans. You are either saying that humans are literally goods or services, or you are using a metaphor to liken humans to good or services. Either way, you are using dehumanising language.
                      Humans... ha

you are all just interchangeable meat sacks.

Comment

Working...
                      X