• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

stock market crash

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This market is not going to stop going in a downward direction until mid-2024 - welcome to the depression.

"Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

We had it since Nov 2005...

Comment

45 minutes in -5.50%
        "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
        - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

You know if it keeps going like this companies are going to disappear... wonder which in the FTSE 100 is servicing the most debt...
          "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by cojak View Post
            45 minutes in -5.50%

The more it drops this morning the better
            I am what I drink, and I'm a bitter man

Comment

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
              You know if it keeps going like this companies are going to disappear... wonder which in the FTSE 100 is servicing the most debt...
              We needz some chartz!

You knowz the rulez, aye!
              Old Greg - In search of acceptance since Mar 2007. Hoping each leap will be his last.

Comment

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
                This market is not going to stop going in a downward direction until mid-2024 - welcome to the depression.

Time is on my side, unless covid-19 gets me

I'm a believer that the time to buy is when the markets are dropping, not rising.
                I am what I drink, and I'm a bitter man

Comment

Good grief... could BP be on the brink? How on earth are they carrying so much debt?

We could be looking at a number of UK companies going bust the minute they can't service their debt. Cash flow people, the killer of business every time.

Debt at UK listed companies soars to record high

Debt at UK listed companies has soared to hit a record high of £390bn as companies have scrambled to maintain dividend payouts in response to shareholder demand despite weak profitability.

UK plc’s net debt has surpassed pre-crisis levels to reach £390.7bn in the 2017-18 financial year, according to analysis from Link Asset Services, which assessed balance sheet data from 440 UK listed companies.

The data for net debt, which is total debt less cash, show that while companies cut their borrowings by a fifth in the two years immediately after the financial crisis, debt levels have jumped 69 per cent since 2010-11.

Most of the increase was used to fund dividends — against a backdrop of low interest rates — at a time of low profitability for UK companies, Link said.

This “credit binge” has accelerated recently, with the heaviest borrowing taking place over the past two years.

“The demands of shareholders help explain the pattern,” Link said in the report.

“During [the past two years], profit performance was disappointing across many sectors, but investment requirements continued, and most companies strived to maintain dividends.”

Across all sectors, debt at oil companies has grown the fastest in the wake of the 2015 oil price slump, up more than 450 per cent since 2008-09.

BP and Royal Dutch Shell are among the most heavily indebted companies, accounting for £1 in every £7 of all UK plc’s net debts in the latest financial year.

Comment

Originally posted by Whorty View Post

I'm a believer that the time to buy is when the markets are dropping, not rising.

I prefer to buy low, sell high regardless of time.

Comment

Originally posted by Whorty View Post
                      Time is on my side, unless covid-19 gets me

So you think that the price of stock markets will be lower than today or higher than today, given in a few weeks likely millions will be infected, countries closed, everyone quarantined in their homes, every shop and factory closed and food rationing?

Have a think, and let me know your feelings on the price today compared with next month.

Comment

Working...
                      X