• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

stock market crash

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by AtW View Post
    Pooper is busted!
    I assumed he was promoting his own website/himself ... found something recently that was suspiciously Scooty-looking website. Isn't this akin to promoting your own business?
    I am what I drink, and I'm a bitter man

Comment

“ Rallying Stock Market Is Forcing Everyone to Become a Believer

From professional investors to market handicappers, it’s becoming next to impossible to stay bearish in the face of the rally in equities.

Fund managers who went to cash when the pandemic broke out have been forced back in to stocks, pushing measures of positioning toward historical highs. Wall Street forecasters, some of whom threw up their hands in surrender four months ago, are pushing up targets each day. Even Goldman Sachs Group Inc., which once warned that bad loans and falling dividends could drive a second leg of the bear market, now sees another 6% of upside in the S&P 500.“

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...premium-europe

Comment

“ Rallying Stock Market Is Forcing Everyone to Become a Believer

From professional investors to market handicappers, it’s becoming next to impossible to stay bearish in the face of the rally in equities.

Fund managers who went to cash when the pandemic broke out have been forced back in to stocks, pushing measures of positioning toward historical highs. Wall Street forecasters, some of whom threw up their hands in surrender four months ago, are pushing up targets each day. Even Goldman Sachs Group Inc., which once warned that bad loans and falling dividends could drive a second leg of the bear market, now sees another 6% of upside in the S&P 500.“

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...premium-europe

The S&P 500 is weighted massively towards tech stocks, apple, alphabet, google, microsoft, amazon..

The FTSE 100 is weighted towards banks, oil and pharma, shell, bp, hsbc, BAT, Barclays, AZ..

That’s why S&P 500 has done so well through covid and FTSE is still hanging around 6000.

Each to their own, but I would rather be over exposed to US/China Tech than banks and oil companies. Sure FTSE may recover, but any sniff of another outbreak and it will crash again.

Don’t think it will, but not going to invest in banks and oil companies. Banks are screwed, and EV will take over petrol cars imho.
        Last edited by BABABlackSheep; 18 August 2020, 16:40.

Comment

“ New record as S&P 500 defies crisis

The S&P 500, the index regarded as being the most representative of corporate America, closed at a record high last night, surpassing a level hit in February before the coronavirus crisis and marking one of the most dramatic recoveries in the index’s history.“

New record as S&P 500 defies crisis | Business | The Times

Comment

Not for our Scoots.
            Scoots still says that Apr 2020 didn't mark the start of a new stock bull market.

Comment

Originally posted by DealorNoDeal View Post
              Not for our Scoots.
              He'll be off now drawing a pointless graph to 'prove' he alone is right and the rest of the world is wrong
              I am what I drink, and I'm a bitter man

Comment

Ishare digitalisation ETF now trading at 662p, from a pre lockdown high of 571p. Worlds gone mad.
                Last edited by BlueSharp; 19 August 2020, 08:08.
                Make Mercia Great Again!

Comment

Originally posted by BlueSharp View Post
                  Ishare digitalisation ETF now trading at 662p, from a pre lockdown high of 571p. Worlds gone mad.
                  Why is that mad, their holdings look very covid resistant, logistics, tech - cornerstones of a post-covid society.

Comment

Originally posted by TheGreenBastard View Post
                    Why is that mad, their holdings look very covid resistant, logistics, tech - cornerstones of a post-covid society.
                    Lots of tech is very much consumer-driven which has surprised me, I wonder if it's the lack of other options that has driven it so high. I guess the recovery will really be two-tier, those in hospitality and retail are going to suffer.
                    Make Mercia Great Again!

Comment

Originally posted by BlueSharp View Post
                      Lots of tech is very much consumer-driven which has surprised me, I wonder if it's the lack of other options that has driven it so high. I guess the recovery will really be two-tier, those in hospitality and retail are going to suffer.
                      Hospitality will recover I think. Retail..game changer. Everyone working from home, all large retail online now, major high streets and shopping centres decimated. Hoping for a return to small local high streets with small independent businesses.

Will be far less cars on the roads from lack of commute and shopping trips and more trucks.. big future in Electric Trucks as battery performance increases.

Also, massively Home healthcare..you see anyone wanting to go near a nursing home again ??

So.. tech leaders , small tech disruptors, EV, healthcare as growth areas imho

Comment

Working...
                      X