• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

stock market crash

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TheGreenBastard View Post
    Gold price is going to $600 pretty soon.

He's now betting against BTC.
    is there anything scooty is not shorting

Comment

Originally posted by Andy2 View Post
      is there anything scooty is not shorting
      Centrica and South Sea Company.

Comment

Originally posted by Whorty View Post
        No, for 2 reasons.

1) I don't think it's going to drop much. Possible correction, but not crash. I bought in at about 5400 so a long way to go before I need to sell to crystalise profit.

2) I'm in for the long haul. And by this I means years if not decades. These are my ISAs so I'll sit on these for 10+ years. In the long haul the FTSE will go back to 7000+ ... I can be patient as this is not money I expect to need until I'm in my 70's
        If you don't make it, can I have the cash?
        Old Greg - In search of acceptance since Mar 2007. Hoping each leap will be his last.

Comment

Originally posted by Zigenare View Post
          If you don't make it, can I have the cash?
          If I say yes, should I expect a sniper hiding in the trees next week?

It's an interesting one this ... I have no kids and expect that if I hit a decent age then my Mom won't be around by then. My brother and I don't speak so I have no one to leave my money to (I've been told to expect the worst with my wife over the next 12 months so I don't think she will be here either). As such, I'll be trying to spend down my cash so that my last day on this earth is when I spend my last penny.

Timing will be everything - spend too much too early and cash runs out. Don't spend enough, and I'll struggle to waste enough on the last day on loose women and champagne.

Of course, I could always invest in bitcoins - that should destroy my savings pretty fast
          Last edited by Whorty; 22 July 2020, 10:45.
          I am what I drink, and I'm a bitter man

Comment

As such, I'll be trying to spend down my cash so that my last day on this earth is when I spend my last penny.

Timing will be everything - spend too much too early and cash runs out. Don't spend enough, and I'll struggle to waste enough on the last day on loose women and champagne.
            My wife and I are pretty much in the same position. Anything that's left, after we're gone, goes to charity.

I don't mind leaving a chunk to charity but not at the expense of us living on a shoestring.

Therefore, unless we decide to sell the house and either massively downsize or rent somewhere, we'll probably do equity release.
            Scoots still says that Apr 2020 didn't mark the start of a new stock bull market.

Comment

Originally posted by DealorNoDeal View Post
              My wife and I are pretty much in the same position. Anything that's left, after we're gone, goes to charity.

I don't mind leaving a chunk to charity but not at the expense of us living on a shoestring.

Therefore, unless we decide to sell the house and either massively downsize or rent somewhere, we'll probably do equity release.
              Similar here. We've set up trust funds to give our mother's an income for the rest of their lives should my wife and I go first. After that we have split the remainder between our friends and their kids - the one's who have stayed close to us and helped whilst my wife has been ill.

For us it's been an interesting exercise keeping our assets out of the hands of our grubby relations fingers

Comment

If I say yes, should I expect a sniper hiding in the trees next week?

It's an interesting one this ... I have no kids and expect that if I hit a decent age then my Mom won't be around by then. My brother and I don't speak so I have no one to leave my money to (I've been told to expect the worst with my wife over the next 12 months so I don't think she will be here either). As such, I'll be trying to spend down my cash so that my last day on this earth is when I spend my last penny.

Of course, I could always invest in bitcoins - that should destroy my savings pretty fast

On a serious note I'm sure you'll find a worthy cause.

I got a call from the animal sanctuary yesterday, Mum's old horse died over the weekend. So I'll carry on my Mum's tradition and make a donation on high days and holidays.
                Old Greg - In search of acceptance since Mar 2007. Hoping each leap will be his last.

Comment

Originally posted by Zigenare View Post

On a serious note I'm sure you'll find a worthy cause.

I got a call from the animal sanctuary yesterday, Mum's old horse died over the weekend. So I'll carry on my Mum's tradition and make a donation on high days and holidays.

Comment

Tesla shares jump after fourth quarterly profit in a row

Fill your boots!

If you read between the lines, the business of selling cars is loss making, but selling carbon credits.... that's the ticket laddie!

But wait... who is buying these when people are driving less? Never mind that tot - to the moon!

Tesla reported its fourth consecutive quarterly net profit on Wednesday, a milestone for the electric car pioneer whose market valuation now far exceeds any other carmaker.

The Fremont-based company led by Elon Musk reported a net profit of $104m in the quarter to June, against a loss of $408m last year. As investors had expected another slight loss, the shares rose more than 4 per cent in after-hours trading.

A big boost came from the $428m in revenue it recorded in the sale of regulatory credits — in which Tesla sells its zero-emission credits to other carmakers who need them to avoid penalties.

Alyssa Altman, transportation lead at consultancy Publicis Sapient, called such credits “the secret weapon” behind Tesla's earnings beat. “The emissions credit revenue stream allows them to add even more cash to their business at scale unlike any other [carmaker]," she said.

Total revenue was $6.04bn, about $1bn higher than forecasts and just 5 per cent less than a year ago — a remarkable achievement given that coronavirus forced its factories to temporarily shut down. Mr Musk at the time derided the order to shut down as “fascist” and he eventually sued Alameda County, where Fremont is based, and then resumed production before he attained approval.

Earnings per share soared past Wall Street forecasts to $2.18, versus a top estimate of $1.45 per share.

Subscribe to read | Financial Times
                    Last edited by scooterscot; 23 July 2020, 16:42.
                    "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
                      Some crap about Tesla stock, some whining about missing out.

So you didn't buy when it was cheap, you missed out on huge profits, you didn't see it in your charts.

And now you are doing the "These people will get burned! Are they mad!" thing.

Unbelievable.

Comment

Working...
                      X