• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

stock market crash

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DealorNoDeal View Post
    https://quoteinvestigator.com/2011/08/09/remain-solvent

The trickiest part of putting your money into a bearish bet is the timing. You can be right that a market or sector is overvalued but wrong on the timing. That’s essentially what economist John Maynard Keynes meant when he said, “The market can stay irrational longer than you can stay solvent.”

Very true - this isn't a bet though. This trade is the result of hours of study. And I don't try to time the markets, it would be great if you could... but then maybe. In the early 90's crash there was many a story of a broker hiding from clients under the desk as they all rushed to exit the market at the same time. But this can't happen today you may say. Actually you'd be dead wrong. They can pull the plug on the whole thing, and have already done so in March. Point is when you try to exit or enter as the same time as everyone else you get the worst deal possible.

I'll not lie, if the trade goes sour it'll pinch - could have bought a BTL instead and stressed myself out with managing tenants
    "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
      Very true - this isn't a bet though. This trade is the result of hours of study.
      You can study horses all year long, but it would stil be a bet when you bet on them.

Comment

This trade is the result of hours of study.

Comment

Scottish Asian, that's me... you looking through my windaw or someit?
          "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Very true - this isn't a bet though.

I'll not lie, if the trade goes sour it'll pinch
            By definition, it is a bet (gamble) because you are risking money on something with an uncertain outcome.

Only very long term investing, in a diversified portfolio, is not gambling.
            Scoots still says that Apr 2020 didn't mark the start of a new stock bull market.

Comment

The difference between what I'm doing and gambling is measuring risk. Quite certain punters turning up at the bookies don't perform a risk analysis.

Measuring risk is everything coupled together with a strategy. If you don't have a strategy, you're probably indeed gambling just hoping for the best.

Comment

The difference between what I'm doing and gambling is measuring risk. Quite certain punters turning up at the bookies don't perform a risk analysis.

Measuring risk is everything coupled together with a strategy. If you don't have a strategy, you're probably indeed gambling just hoping for the best.
                Different levels of gambler, there's professional gamblers. From the evidence of this thread, they do analysis that's far more sophisticated than your tea leaf reading.

Definist fallacy - Wikipedia

Comment

FTSE 100 down 1% since opening

Come on tea leafs!

Comment

FTSE 100 down 1% since opening

Come on tea leafs!
                    Normal daily movement. Nothing to worry about. Unless you're over leveraged and for each % drop means 3+% loss
                    I am what I drink, and I'm a bitter man

Comment

This looks like a more structured and principled system than your chart analysis.

http://www.sacredscience.com/SOLASTR...ng-Systems.htm

Comment

Working...
                      X