• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

stock market crash

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
    Exactly what made my sides split.
    The difference is fella, we're laughing at you and not with you
    I am what I drink, and I'm a bitter man

Comment

Fed Reveals Bond Purchases Including AT&T, UnitedHealth, Walmart

This is incredible... and they call crypto a ponzi.

If you said this a year ago the central bank was purchasing a share in private companies you'd sent straight to the lunatic asylum.

The Federal Reserve bought bonds issued by companies including AT&T Inc., UnitedHealth Group Inc. and Walmart Inc. as part of its emergency lending program set up in response to the pandemic, according to new disclosures.

On June 16, the U.S. central bank began purchasing securities of individual issuers as part of a broad index it created to include companies that were eligible for the program.

The disclosures, posted Sunday, showed that of the $207 million of purchases made on the first day of buying, about 21% were of debt issued by firms in the consumer non-cyclical sector, while 15% were of consumer cyclical debt and 10% were of technology debt. Issues rated below investment grade comprised 3.6% of the securities acquired.

In a separate disclosure, the New York Fed released the composition of the broad index the central bank is using to conduct the purchases. Fed officials have said the goal of the buying is to maintain liquidity in the market for corporate debt, so that issuers are able to access capital despite the deep economic downturn created by the pandemic. The index is comprised of almost 800 issuers.

In mid-May, the Fed began buying exchange-traded funds invested in corporate debt as it readied for outright purchases. As of Tuesday, the Fed had amassed $8.71 billion of assets including ETFs and individual securities through the program, known as the Secondary Market Corporate Credit Facility.

On June 17, Fed Chairman Jerome Powell told the House Financial Services Committee that the central bank would reallocate purchases of ETFs toward individual debt securities through the index it created.

“Buying cash bonds is going to form the primary mode of support over time by which we support market function,” Powell said during the hearing. “Over time, we will gradually move away from ETFs.”

The program is set to expire on Sept. 30.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...health-walmart
      "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

If you said this a year ago the central bank was purchasing a share in private companies you'd sent straight to the lunatic asylum.
        They are "only" buying bonds at the moment but some commentators are predicting they will eventually start buying stocks.

<placeholder - Fed buys shares in AMD>
        Scoots still says that Apr 2020 didn't mark the start of a new stock bull market.

Comment

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...health-walmart
          There is a desperation to your links to crypto/bitcoin and your need for it to become mainstream. Are you so indebted to this that you literally can't afford it to fail?
          I am what I drink, and I'm a bitter man

Comment

Originally posted by DealorNoDeal View Post
            They are "only" buying bonds at the moment but some commentators are predicting they will eventually start buying stocks.

<placeholder - Fed buys shares in AMD>
            By proxy they're buying the stock. Money gathered from bond sales I'll wager is being used on stock buybacks.
            "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Technical analysis tell you want people are thinking, nothing more.

For example the recent Wirecard fraud here in Germany, no TA could have predicted that. Got burnt on a couple of my holdings because of it, TA never saw that one coming. People panicked and liquidated their stocks in fear. Did I sell? No.. actually bought.

The fear was easy to see on the TA. Buy when others are fearful. Goes against your nature to the core. If you can put your mind above the emotion, you'll profit and then some.
              It tells you historically.

Thanks for confirming TA is bogus though, with your Wirecard example.

Comment

Originally posted by TheGreenBastard View Post
                Thanks for confirming TA is bogus though...
                IMO, the vast majority of it is, especially charting patterns and indicators.

A simple line chart can be useful for identifying trends but that's about it. The 200-day simple moving average, as shown in this gold chart, can also be a bit of a market barometer.

Technical Gold Charts and Data - London Fix
                Scoots still says that Apr 2020 didn't mark the start of a new stock bull market.

Comment

Originally posted by TheGreenBastard View Post

Thanks for confirming TA is bogus though, with your Wirecard example.

Comment

Originally posted by DealorNoDeal View Post
                    IMO, the vast majority of it is, especially charting patterns and indicators.

A simple line chart can be useful for identifying trends but that's about it. The 200-day simple moving average, as shown in this gold chart, can also be a bit of a market barometer.

Technical Gold Charts and Data - London Fix

Remain scientific, study history, understand support and resistance - I assure you it'll provide profitable results. But you've got to have a plan, a strategy. Without one you're going to lose money.

Comment

Remain scientific, study history, understand support and resistance - I assure you it'll provide profitable results. But you've got to have a plan, a strategy. Without one you're going to lose money.
                      And your plan / strategy is based on squiggles and brain farts?

Comment

Working...
                      X