• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

stock market crash

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
    What is the alternative to stocks?

The money has to go somewhere, and even though dividends have been cut, there are still dividends.

I still have a hunch that somewhere in the next year we'll be thinking how was I so stupid to not bale out of the stockmarket on this rally.

Comment

It's not the stock market that is on fire, it's cash.
      I'm alright Jack

Comment

Sentiment moving the market. Seeing news of other countries that handled the pandemic differently and likely better than the UK already going back to 'normal', so many thinking the worst will be over relatively soon.

e.g. people rushing out to McDs in NZ now they've re-opened and people satisfy the cravings that lockdown deprived them of.

The real impact will come later when even after lockdown people may be wary to go back to full consumer debt mode (particularly if a second spike in autumn/winter is likely, with more lockdowns, furloughs or risk of more job losses) so any stock market collapse will be when FTSE companies are posting massive potentially fatal losses, spooking the market.

So we'll see what other incentives and handouts the government comes up with to get the economy back on track, bailing out some sectors, and compensating others that may not return in a recognisable way if social distancing is needed for potentially years.

I expect the current mantra of "stay at home, protect the NHS, save lives" will become "spend, spend, spend" though not so blatantly.
        Maybe tomorrow, I'll want to settle down. Until tomorrow, I'll just keep moving on.

Comment

Originally posted by genius View Post
          Up 30% by ignoring everything scooter's ever said.
          A contrarian to the contrarian eh?

Comment

Originally posted by Hobosapien View Post

I expect the current mantra of "stay at home, protect the NHS, save lives" will become "spend, spend, spend" though not so blatantly.
            "Go out and spend spend spend, die at home quietly please" will be the new mantra

Comment

Originally posted by rootsnall View Post
              I still have a hunch that somewhere in the next year we'll be thinking how was I so stupid to not bale out of the stockmarket on this rally.
              I'm selling around August / September (or as soon as I treble up) before wave 2 / winter flu / infinite death mode hits in. Then buy in again for x50 returns.

Comment

If you'd have invested 5000 pounds in 1929, and then a further 5000 in 1931, in 1932 you would have been well in profit.

Never be frightened to wade in and take opportunities.

"he who dares"

I'm alright Jack

Comment

Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
                  If you'd have invested 5000 pounds in 1929, and then a further 5000 in 1931, in 1932 you would have been well in profit.

Never be frightened to wade in and take opportunities.

"he who dares"

I'm up to my waist, which feels about right. I can celebrate saviour if it goes up and will buy some more if slides. I still think there is a good chance it'll unravel. A lot of faith being invested in the Yanks to defy reality with funny money, it'll be a huge panic for the exit doors, or should it be liferaft, if reality bites back.
                  Last edited by rootsnall; 28 April 2020, 12:52.

Comment

Back to my buy in price! Dimpoof can only dream of such gains

"Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

I'm up to my waist, which feels about right. I can celebrate saviour if it goes up and will buy some more if slides. I still think there is a good chance it'll unravel. A lot of faith being invested in the Yanks to defy reality with funny money, it'll be a huge panic for the exit doors, or should it be liferaft, if reality bites back.
                      Plenty of companies such as Proctor and Gamble, Coca Cola which will sail through this unscathed. It is easy to look at stock market charts and get scared, think about the companies you hold.

Airlines and cruise companies don't look good. Oil majors may even clean up and end up bigger than before the crash as they buy out small companies. Gold miners are impervious.

The other thing to bear in mind is that there may be a dose of inflation so your cash might not survive either.
                      I'm alright Jack

Comment

Working...
                      X