• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

All about Scrum

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

All about Scrum

I keep seeing people on linkedin who obtain second class honors in pottery and then go on to become scrum coaches , and agile coaches

Is it just me or is this snake oil? Call me cynical, i love agile and scrum but what the hell does a coach do all day? And servant leadership?

Am I the only one who thinks this is mumbo jumbo and hocus pocus?

I ve done plenty of agile training and we use and i ve had the misfortune of working with three agile coaches in the past who had no clude what a computer was never mind software development. All they wanted to do was dicuss what done is done and epics vs stories vs tasks in JIRA

One person "
    I've worked in large companies & small start ups.... from Investment Banking to Pharma.... I've been around Scrum & agile for a decade .... in helping teams do things better. I've worked with 40+ teams.....

There are no silver bullets, only experiments to consider. My focus over the past 3 years has been organisational design, helping with restructuring & coaching C level members on mindset surrounding empirical thinking & servant leadership. "

So a 30 year old guy who has done a crappy course from a polytechnic university in an unrelated field thinks he can provide coaching to C level executive board?!

Are these people for real?
    Last edited by LondonPM1; 18 February 2018, 21:38.

Jealousy is a bitter emotion. Rise above it
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Agile is the new saviour. Non believers will burn in hell.

Companies now value this nonsense above any technical skills. If you want to follow the money take the Scrum master training and invoice whilst smiling like an all knowing all seeing Buddha

Personally I will be glad when this time-wasting wank is shown for the charlatan bulltulip it really is...

Comment

A lot of these scrum masters and agile coaches don't understand software but can talk about it very well. They also read all of the books under the sun and reference them and managers like that.

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
          Agile is the new saviour. Non believers will burn in hell.

Comment

i call it 'make it up as you go along'

governance, whats that? JFDI!
            Politicians are wonderfull people, as long as they stay away from things they don't understand, like working for a living!

Comment

'Scrum is soooo last year darling ..'.

"The following is a story about how we matured as an engineering team. We went from an ad-hoc process to Scrum, and used Scrum for a whole year. Scrum leveled us up as a team in terms of structure and process. But it caused major morale issues. Then we found Kanban. We implemented it and have never looked back."
              https://medium.com/cto-school/ditchi...m-cd1167014a6f

Kanban is this ..

and this ..

and this ..

Simplees.

Comment

Originally posted by VillageContractor View Post
                A lot of these scrum masters and agile coaches don't understand software but can talk about it very well. They also read all of the books under the sun and reference them and managers like that.
                I was hoping that some agile coaches on this board could kindly share their views on what they do practically

I know kanban and scrum and this thread is not meant to debate them

I am more interested in how c level training happens from a thirty year old with a degree in pottery from a polytechnic.

And in that scenario how working in banking and pharma meaning no particular deep knowledge is benefical

Comment

Originally posted by 1 Jack Kada View Post
                  I was hoping that some agile coaches on this board could kindly share their views on what they do practically

I know kanban and scrum and this thread is not meant to debate them

I am more interested in how c level training happens from a thirty year old with a degree in pottery from a polytechnic.

And in that scenario how working in banking and pharma meaning no particular deep knowledge is benefical
                  Firstly you love agile and scrum... Wtf :-)

Secondly, aren't these positions to facilitate the team, why is deep knowledge required? It seems like inherit social skills and empathy would be more useful that deep sector knowledge, hence why pottery PhDs with the gift of the gab are invoicing £600 per day. They seem to have the intelligence to realise there's not really much to it (no offense) and the financial rewards are disproportionate to effort.

Personally Kanban is far superior than this pseudo science Agile™/Scrum - scrum masters in my eyes bring little value for a group of real experts working on a problem - if anything their stupid "gamification" of stuff is condescending tulipe.
                  Last edited by TheGreenBastard; 22 February 2018, 16:09.

Comment

"scrum" is a software engineering religion.

It has its holy book, its priests, evangalists and rituals. If you deviate from scrum-by-the-book then you schism and start a new off-shoot explaining loudly why your version is right and everyone else is wrong.

I have worked with some truly, truly, awful agile coaches and scrum masters.

I have also worked with a vanishingly small number of excellent ones who have seriously helped to turn the software team around. But those ones tend to have come from a software engineering background and are pragmatic about finding real solutions rather than committed to a particular mindset.

Comment

Working...
                    X