• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Crap rates - just be honest agents

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Crap rates - just be honest agents

Got call from agent.

SC needed for role in Brussels. Told him not really keen because I'm in a local gig and I do OK. Made the mistake of telling him its Inside IR35.

So hes off telling me how I need to get away from that and that his role is not Inside IR35. Trouble is, his role paid less than half (in euros as well!) and, of course, its in Brussels! (which is more than an hours drive from wales).

Seriously. He got a bit off when I laughed.

Agents - come on now. I do feel a bit sorry for them sometimes when they get what appears to be an impossible task getting someone in for a low rate but realise when someone ain't going to do it and be honest that the rate is indeed crap.
    Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

<yawn>

General please.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

How much we talking? £100 a day?
      http://www.cih.org/news-article/disp...housing_market

Comment

Originally posted by PurpleGorilla View Post
        How much we talking? £100 a day?
        £1000 ;-)

Comment

I've noticed there are a lot of very poorly remunerated gigs being advertised at the moment in the infrastructure arena. Gigs I'd expect to see around the £300-£350 mark people are chancing at £225-£250, which is terrible! I've made it through to the second stage of a permieland interview in a couple of weeks, and am having to seriously consider that it may be the best option looking at what the market is currently doing..!

Comment

Originally posted by psychocandy View Post

Agents - come on now. I do feel a bit sorry for them sometimes when they get what appears to be an impossible task getting someone in for a low rate but realise when someone ain't going to do it and be honest that the rate is indeed crap.
            You want to be careful what you ask for. They might be too honest and admit they are calling you because the rate is crap and you are the only pillock they think might take it.

That said you are being a bit of a hypocrite aren't you? 'You aren't keen because you are in a local gig.'? Maybe if you had been honest and said there isn't a hope in hell I'll be taking a gig in Brussels then none of this would have happened would it?
            'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
              You want to be careful what you ask for. They might be too honest and admit they are calling you because the rate is crap and you are the only pillock they think might take it.

That said you are being a bit of a hypocrite aren't you? 'You aren't keen because you are in a local gig.'? Maybe if you had been honest and said there isn't a hope in hell I'll be taking a gig in Brussels then none of this would have happened would it?
              Never say never NLUK. I'll do anything if the price is right? Do you want to see my rate card to see if anything interests you? :-)

Comment

Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
                Never say never NLUK. I'll do anything if the price is right?
                How much for you to say you love NLUK?

You can quote in weekly JSA payments if you want....

Comment

Originally posted by mattfx View Post
                  I've noticed there are a lot of very poorly remunerated gigs being advertised at the moment in the infrastructure arena. Gigs I'd expect to see around the £300-£350 mark people are chancing at £225-£250, which is terrible! I've made it through to the second stage of a permieland interview in a couple of weeks, and am having to seriously consider that it may be the best option looking at what the market is currently doing..!
                  This is exactly what I've found too. Been in infra type role for the past couple years at £300 and now theres few hitting that mark.

In the end, decided to take a perm job at £63k + stock (startup) for the next couple years and see where things go. Should get me into a few new areas like cloud/arch so getting those roles later would be easier imo.

Worst I heard was an infra type role, inside IR35, skills spec as long as your arm and £175 a day...

Comment

Have permy jobs caught up with contracting a little bit? Not sure. There still seems to be plenty of "blue water".

Rates are very gradually heading north (in unix infrastructure). I'm on my best rate since 2008, numerically. However if you factor in RPI inflation (the one that includes housing) this is no longer the case. Inflation has a surprisingly big effect over a few years. Eg. £300 p/d in 2007 would be equivalent to £409 now, according to the H-L inflation calculator. Just to fend off inflation, an increase of £10 or so per year is needed. All pretty obvious I guess.

The rates information at https://www.itjobswatch.co.uk seems to confirm a slow upward trend. But it is too optimistic. Either that or I am undercharging.

Comment

Working...
                    X