• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Is Crypto the new contracting?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
    BTW are crytpt gains tax free? income and capital gains?
    Sure, why not, like any other asset (gold, sack of potatoes, crypto coins). Cash value at the time you sell minus cash value you bought it at (should) become your capital gains subject to tax... ("cash" being defined as whatever denomination you are taxed in - typically the fiat currency of the jurisdiction in which you are tax resident)

Comment

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
      Of course you should. Don't know why so many are clearly trying to advocate others are evading.

Have been paying tax in this country a full quarter ahead of earnings, which is crazy.
      You did continually state there was no tax on cryptos in Germany, which is false.

Comment

Originally posted by Jog On View Post
        Who's suggesting not paying tax on it?

Of course one should pay tax on any investment gains whatever the vehicle - no?
        So how do HMRC know you've bought/sold any?
        Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
          It would be funny if certain millionaire posters lost all their crypto holdings in the coming crash. Then made bankrupt by the unbudgeted tax bill.
          If it's true that the tax is realised when moving between cryptocoins and not when cashing back out to £s, and HMRC have access to those movements via the exchanges, then that would be a big worry for those holding cryptocoins over many trades.

I suppose firstly HMRC won't have access to the information from exchanges outside the UK/EU, and secondly HMRC will be slow to react meaning the jurisdiction period for potentially being caught up with in future needs to be considered. Then how do you accurately predict the possible tax bill unless every single trade was recorded so the profit could be determined.

Hopefully calculating the CGT on the £s profit at the end of it all would be enough for HMRC unless they had reason to think you were hiding something worth investigating further.
          Maybe tomorrow, I'll want to settle down. Until tomorrow, I'll just keep moving on.

Comment

Originally posted by Hobosapien View Post
            If it's true that the tax is realised when moving between cryptocoins and not when cashing back out to £s, and HMRC have access to those movements via the exchanges, then that would be a big worry for those holding cryptocoins over many trades.

I suppose firstly HMRC won't have access to the information from exchanges outside the UK/EU, and secondly HMRC will be slow to react meaning the jurisdiction period for potentially being caught up with in future needs to be considered. Then how do you accurately predict the possible tax bill unless every single trade was recorded so the profit could be determined.

Hopefully calculating the CGT on the £s profit at the end of it all would be enough for HMRC unless they had reason to think you were hiding something worth investigating further.
            A crypto currency is like any other currency. The rule for moving from one foreign currency to another is given here:

https://www.gov.uk/government/public...actice-10-1984

So purchasing one currency for another is treated as a disposal and an acquisition.
            I'm alright Jack

Comment

Presumably you can offset losses against gains though? Otherwise if an when it does all collapse people are going to be hit with a massive double-whammy of a huge loss in 'equity' and a massive tax bill....
              And the lord said unto John; "come forth and receive eternal life." But John came fifth and won a toaster.

Comment

Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
                I hope you're not advocating tax evasion? Whatever next? Claiming JSA when you're out of contract?

And the lord said unto John; "come forth and receive eternal life." But John came fifth and won a toaster.

Comment

Originally posted by TheGreenBastard View Post
                  You did continually state there was no tax on cryptos in Germany, which is false.
                  "Germany

Bitcoin has been considered a type of private money since 2013. Although Bitcoin is subject to capital gains tax of 25% in Germany, such a tax is levied only if the profits on Bitcoin are acquired within one year after the receipt of Bitcoin. Thus, taxpayers who hold Bitcoin for longer than one year will not be subject to capital gains tax and their transaction will fall within the scope of a non-taxable “private sale”. The treatment of Bitcoin in Germany is similar to the treatment of other investment instruments, such as stocks or shares."

Bitcoin taxation in the developed countries - No More Tax
                  "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
                    I'm assuming it's a self assessment - although the ID hoops I've jumped through on Exchanges should aid them if they decide to investigate.

Originally posted by Hobosapien View Post

I don't think HMRC want (at this stage) to try and tax every individual trade. The IRS on the other hand do so I've seen posts on Reddit from yanks saying that they intend to forward trade logs to the IRS and make them do the work of calculating the gain/loss at the time etc.

Originally posted by b0redom View Post
                    Presumably you can offset losses against gains though? Otherwise if an when it does all collapse people are going to be hit with a massive double-whammy of a huge loss in 'equity' and a massive tax bill....
                    That will be very interesting to see - especially for those that have taken out mortgages to buy bitcoin. I had to fill out a form recently for my spread betting broker (something to do with MIFID) with a quiz to show how much I know about trading. Without passing it my account would be locked for trading. This hasn't reached the crypto space yet - it probably should ASAP... But I don't think the US based crypto exchanges have to comply with MIFID.

I'm sure when John/Jane Doe lose their house because they remortgaged to go all in on BTC it won't be their fault and they will be victims. Who will compensate them though?
                    "Is someone you don't like allowed to say something you don't like? If that is the case then we have free speech."- Elon Musk

Comment

You wont go to heaven if you invest in it though

Egypt's Grand Mufti endorses Bitcoin trading ban - BBC News

Comment

Working...
                      X