• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Bitcoin

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm not predicting anything, just being a counterpoint to all the rampers who need people to 'invest' to realise any profits.

It doesn't take an expert to know the government will be looking at how they can control it, even if to reduce the chance of jo public getting fleeced. Though as usual they'll be too late to act for the recent mania to wipe out many if this new 'investment' conforms to traditional bubbles. Maybe it will be different this time.

Have any of the multi billion international tech players (Google, Apple, Amazon, ...) got onboard the cryptocurrency train yet? If not then expect one or more of them to come out with an alternative after the early adopters prove unable to go the distance of capturing the market. That's a prediction.
    Maybe tomorrow, I'll want to settle down. Until tomorrow, I'll just keep moving on.

Comment

Originally posted by Hobosapien View Post
      Though as usual they'll be too late to act for the recent mania to wipe out many if this new 'investment' conforms to traditional bubbles. Maybe it will be different this time.
      It looks like rampant speculation to me, and will probably end the same way as all previous bubbles.

However, a couple of things suggest to me that it could go an awful lot higher:
      1) it currently only has a tiny market cap (minuscule in comparison to other asset classes)
      2) it has global participation (billions of potential greater fools)

For me, I think it's worth a small punt.

Comment

Originally posted by stonehenge View Post
        It looks like rampant speculation to me, and will probably end the same way as all previous bubbles.

1) it currently only has a tiny market cap (minuscule in comparison to other asset classes)

At height of internet bubble the market cap of all internet firms was about 10% of all market cap. And clearly internet was going to outperform traditional companies.

What people missed is that internet would pervade ALL companies.

Blockchain will pervade all companies.

The trick here is spotting when to get out - and being able to get out.

Comment

Welcome to the fools only club!

Now, you're a bigger fool than us fools for coming to the party so late. However, there'll be even bigger fools to come. So now the early fools start to seem like the wise. And before you know it people will look up to you because you have a small fortune.

Dear Lord, what would have been so terrible if I had a small fortune?

"Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

I'm currently mulling over the best strategy to play this bubble.

I'm thinking pyramiding may be the way to go.

Comment

For sure those who got in before the recent rush have little to lose by seeing it out, or indeed cashing out while way in front.

I'm too risk averse to dare participating now it's more than a few quid to see any significant return, short of the moon shot some hope for.

So while I may be in the 'anti' camp I'm not saying don't risk it or it's totally doomed, just be wary and don't risk losing more than you could live with without regrets.

No idea what the long term prospects are for either the tech or the value to FIAT, at the moment that doesn't seem to matter as it's attracting those wanting a quick win. Not everyone can win, it's a zero sum game.
              Maybe tomorrow, I'll want to settle down. Until tomorrow, I'll just keep moving on.

Comment

Are we not all winers in a zero sum game?
                "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
                  Are we not all winers in a zero sum game?
                  Only if you hedge your bets so are also all losers.

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
                    The trick here is spotting when to get out - and being able to get out.
                    Indeed.

You won't know it's topped until after the event and this thing swings so wildly that it will probably take a massive fall (50%?) before you can be pretty sure the party is finally over. Getting out in a hurry could be a real problem.

I'm thinking the ETN tracker might be easier to exit than BTC itself. At least it's traded on a large stock exchange.
                    https://xbtprovider.com

Comment

I'm currently mulling over the best strategy to play this bubble.

I'm thinking pyramiding may be the way to go.
                      Dare I look that up on Urban Dictionary?

Comment

Working...
                      X