• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

My Oculus Rift VR arrives today!

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Elite Dangerous is my goto relaxing game
    It's my only game (since '84). Launching from one of the larger stations is meant to be mind blowing.

PM me your handle and next time I'm on I'll send a friend request. I'm also in Mobius group.

Comment

Originally posted by NigelJK View Post
      It's my only game (since '84). Launching from one of the larger stations is meant to be mind blowing.

PM me your handle and next time I'm on I'll send a friend request. I'm also in Mobius group.
      Will do, though you can probably guess it by my username here! I need to backup my key mappings and download the vr version of Elite - so not tried it yet - Will probably do Friday night.

Comment

So Amazon had some issues delivering the Rift, looks like someone at the depot decided they wanted a Rift for Xmas and has my box. Anyway bought it from Game in the end.

So initials thoughts...

Easy to setup and worked straight away. Though I bypassed some of the rooms settings, like setting boundaries and haven't optimized the sensor positions.

The cable from the headset it quite short and splits at the end into the usb 3 and hdmi. I was planning on using the usb3 port at the front of the pc but the cable wouldn't reach, luckily enough I had a couple of usb 3 ports at the back of the PC (which I didn't know about).

The introduction is excellent, you are in motor home and a robot introduces you to the touch controllers. It's jaw droppingly excellent.

However, when you get to your "home" it's pretty basic, some nice features etc but I would have prefered the motor home as the default place. Minor grip, just could have made it better.

The touch is excellent and feels natural - you really need this.

I havent tried a whole load yet, some of the downloads are 20/30 gb so takes a little time. Did try a robot/combat game, which had setup/practice areas and again excellent. I was actually speaking to a German guy and it feels quite natural to move around. Graphics very good.

I also played the Blade Runner demo, which as a game type thing is crap but the graphics etc are excellent. At the start you are in the police vehicle flying (you have no control over it) over the city, with the rain battering against the windows and when you look to your right you can see the seat next you. I had no trouble losing myself and believing I was in a flying car.

The negatives, well writing is not exactly clear, just slightly off, will play with this. The resolution is obviously not 4k and if like me you use a 4k monitor all day you will notice the difference if you don't let it get to you then you can and will get immersed into the environment.

Ok that's it for now.

Comment

Anyone interested its on Amazon black Friday at 349.99. I paid 400 at game couple of days ago, keeping up my impressive record of buying something just before its reduced or upgraded.

Comment

Originally posted by woohoo View Post
            Anyone interested its on Amazon black Friday at 349.99. I paid 400 at game couple of days ago, keeping up my impressive record of buying something just before its reduced or upgraded.
            Why didn't you wait until Black Friday ? It's not as if no one know it was coming...

Comment

Originally posted by kaiser78 View Post
              Why didn't you wait until Black Friday ? It's not as if no one know it was coming...
              Didn't expect it to be reduced and thought black Friday was last week.

I guess when you don't live hand to mouth the sales arent that important.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladyuk View Post
                CBA to think of a snarky comment about VR and Brexit, but can you assume I made one anyway? Ta.
                The Virtual Reality field the majority of The Leavers™ camp reside safely within will see them sick for at least the next 20 years, rather than a temporary 20 minutes, as is the case with normal VR. Or something.

Comment

Originally posted by woohoo View Post
                  I'm very excited about this as you can imagine. I will be posting updates as the day, weeks and months go on.

Mods, I agree that this is probably the most important thread on here, so feel free to create a new forum for it next to or before the General link.

Please no bananas in your replies, just knowing you know makes me happy.
                  If you haven't already, getting it to play Skyrim is worth it.

Comment

Originally posted by sbakoola View Post
                    If you haven't already, getting it to play Skyrim is worth it.
                    I will have a look thank you very much.

Comment

Do have to login to facebook to use the rift?

Comment

Working...
                      X