• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Any motorcyclists here?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ContractorOnAMotorbike View Post
    .. how do you keep your hands warm? I've heard people say bar muffs are the way to go but i haven't tried them yet.

I use a combination of hand guards, heated grips and decent winter gloves and it works sort of ok but at the end of my commute in the cold weather my hands are quite cold.

Heated glove liner?

If the gloves are wind proof then fairing makes no difference, so 'just' need to ensure proper circulation (gloves not too tight) and some form of warm air barrier inside the glove (thermal lining or heated).
    Maybe tomorrow, I'll want to settle down. Until tomorrow, I'll just keep moving on.

Comment

Originally posted by Hobosapien View Post
      Heated glove liner?

If the gloves are wind proof then fairing makes no difference, so 'just' need to ensure proper circulation (gloves not too tight) and some form of warm air barrier inside the glove (thermal lining or heated).
      yes my gloves are definitely not too tight. I bought one of those "lobster" gloves and tried with an inner liner type thing. Heated liner sounds good. Is there any specific one you recommend? I think Keis makes one if i remember correctly as do a few others.

Comment

Heated gloves are the only way to go on long commutes in sub-zero temperatures. Far more effective than heated grips. Gerbing (T5s) are good.

Comment

Originally posted by ChimpMaster View Post

Ah if only my reactions were still quick enough, I would love to ride again
          well, i'm still riding (and drumming) and i've got a freedom pass

oops, sorry, - Triumph bonneville 2010 currently. sprint ST, chopped BMW bobber previously. 'Guzzi california when i worked in Basel.
          Last edited by BR14; 12 October 2017, 09:54.

Comment

I have a 1965 BSA 650 Lightning but use is strictly fair weather only.

Comment

Originally posted by ContractorOnAMotorbike View Post
              oes anyone else commute through the winter on an unfaired/naked bike? If so how do you keep your hands warm? I've heard people say bar muffs are the way to go but i haven't tried them yet.

I use a combination of hand guards, heated grips and decent winter gloves and it works sort of ok but at the end of my commute in the cold weather my hands are quite cold.
              Buy another bike. I'm, sadly, serious - did a LOT of commuting on my Bandit and it was always a struggle to keep warm. Spent a lot of money on decent gloves, heated inners and it was just a nightmare. Either freezing cold, or just incredibly hard work and I found it difficult to ride in chunky heated gloves. Tried all sorts and while it was bearable it was never much fun over distance.

Did an entire tour to France on the VFR and it was a breeze. The difference was STAGGERING. Didn't even need heated grips most of the time, but it was luxury when I did rather than being required for survival.

Comment

Yep a cheap (but reliable ) winter hack is the best way. Decent fairing and screen to keep the elements away rather than dressed up like the bibendum man to achieve the same.

Plus it's easier to clean (never really understood the attraction of naked bikes from all nooks and crannies that would need cleaning) and all that road salt and crud doesn't matter as much if it's not your pride and joy.

Like I said earlier, proper bikers have more than one bike.
                Maybe tomorrow, I'll want to settle down. Until tomorrow, I'll just keep moving on.

Comment

AND a Haynes manual and toolkit
                  FTFY

Comment

Originally posted by BR14 View Post
                    FTFY

Yep finally got a Haynes manual (Halfords seemed reasonably priced due to the online 'minimum retail price' Haynes must be setting for new manuals) though lots of stuff is explained pretty well via YouTube videos.

I just find it easier to refer to a manual specific to the model version rather than many sources going on about the older carb model.

Already cleaned the rear brake caliper that was 'grabbing' due to lack of use with it being in the workshop more than on the road recently, and changed the spark plug and air filter as cheap ways of trying to address the idling problem before handing it over to the 'experts' .

Comment

And know how to rebuild their carbs

(FI, meh).

Comment

Working...
                      X