• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Any motorcyclists here?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Triumph triple household here. 2003 Sprint ST 955i and 2010 Speed Triple 1050.

Just put new Avon Spirit ST boots on the Sprint - best tyres I’ve ever ridden on.

Comment

Any of you folks on Advrider?

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
        Was that you at Leigh Delamere services last weekend?

Oddly enough, I've spent a lot of time at Leigh Delamare over the years. When my first hubby was courting me, we'd often go up there on a Tuesday night as it was lamb shank night.

Comment

Originally posted by Pip in a Poke View Post
          Oddly enough, I've spent a lot of time at Leigh Delamare over the years. When my first hubby was courting me, we'd often go up there on a Tuesday night as it was lamb shank night.
          You can't beat a large greasy shank on a Tuesday.
          First Law of Contracting: Only the strong survive

Comment

Originally posted by Pip in a Poke View Post
            Now there's a euphemism you don't hear every day...
            His heart is in the right place - shame we can't say the same about his brain...

Comment

DucatI multistrada 1200 's touring here. Best bike I ever bought. Bought new in2010 and been 100% reliable never missed a beat. Sounds great too with my Mivv exhaust system. Cant beat a v-twin. Michelin pilot road 4''s great tyres.

Comment

Now there's a cheap way of claiming 45p/mile expenses!

I used to love riding when I was in my 20s but had to sell the bike (RVF) to raise funds to buy our first home. And of course the wife wasn't keen on me risking my life each time I went out

Cut my commute into Shepherds Bush (BBC) from 50 minutes to 25 minutes. I even took it as far as Southampton when working there (60 miles).

And of course it just looked so damn cool

Ah if only my reactions were still quick enough, I would love to ride again

Comment

Originally posted by mattfx View Post
                  Intermittent idle issue doesn't sound good; carbs or FI?
                  EFI. Initially due to it not idling after it was difficult to start (they swapped the ignition relay to 'fix' that), then they reckoned it 'might be' the auto choke. So some electronic brain air/fuel mix sensor issue.

Originally posted by bluetoaster View Post
                  I don't like the idea of an intermittent idle issue either. does it suddenly cut out? or do the tail off?
                  Just won't idle without needing some throttle, so when coming to a stop with the clutch in it stalls if no throttle kept on. Seems to be worse when hot, then it's a pig to get started again even when cooled down.

Now they reckon it's a weak fuel pump but at over £300 plus fitting I'm not totally convinced. Got a cousin who builds custom bikes as a hobby who owes me a favour and reckons he'll have it diagnosed correctly by the time I've finished a cuppa, but he's 300 miles away. Will take it over for him to have a look one weekend rather than keep throwing more good money after bad with the local chancers.

Does make me realise keeping the old van on the road is a lot more convenient (and sheltered from the elements) than messing about with bike trailers. For my push bikes too, just bungee them to the side, no poncy bike racks or getting mud inside the car. Seriously tempted to get a newer van just for the bikes.

Originally posted by ChimpMaster View Post
                  Ah if only my reactions were still quick enough, I would love to ride again
                  My reactions aren't particularly great either but in the theory test and DAS training it's all about perception of risk and identifying it and avoiding before it requires an unexpected reaction. Even anticipating blind drivers pulling out of side roads shouldn't be totally down to reaction, having the front break covered and assessing the risk of swerving out of their way (as on the mod 1 test) just in case. The practice makes it second nature rather than a reaction. That's what I remember anyway. I'm sure there's more advanced training available too, to impart knowledge of how to stay safe in situations where you retain some control. Not that I've tried commuting through a city where all bets may be off.

It's that challenge and how I find cars just so dull these days (can't even use the power of even a Golf GTI let alone a proper sports car without getting done for being a naughty boy these days) that keeps me interested in bikes even when the weather is so unpredictable.

At least there's no proper ice/snow these days so all year riding isn't that hard or risky. Just need the right kit for the conditions.
                  Maybe tomorrow, I'll want to settle down. Until tomorrow, I'll just keep moving on.

Comment

Just sold my bike after 4 years, astonished to get the same as I paid for it ! Just wasn't using it enough and found getting all the gear on a bit annoying. To be fair I was happy I had scratched the itch to get one and escaped without any mishaps, got a real buzz in the early days.
                    GLA

Comment

Not hijacking the thread or anything ... does anyone else commute through the winter on an unfaired/naked bike? If so how do you keep your hands warm? I've heard people say bar muffs are the way to go but i haven't tried them yet.

I use a combination of hand guards, heated grips and decent winter gloves and it works sort of ok but at the end of my commute in the cold weather my hands are quite cold.

Comment

Working...
                      X