• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Catalonia

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by northernladyuk View Post
    The next move, I would think, is for the Catalan Parliament is to declare independence, hold another vote to confirm this, and dare the Spanish to disrupt it in the same way.
    If it was so easy why have they not done it in the past? For that example why has Scotland not either.

I assume because without international recognition it would be very difficult for a small county to survive on its own
    Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
    I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

Originally posted by PurpleGorilla View Post
      But force must be proportionate under Article 7 of the ECHR.

http://www.echr.coe.int/Documents/Convention_ENG.pdf

1 No one shall be held guilty of any criminal offence on account of any act or omission which did not constitute a criminal offence under national or international law at the time when it was committed. Nor shall a heavier penalty be imposed than the one that was applicable at the time the criminal offence was committed.
      Yes but remember there are certain elements of the EU that have actively promoted the phrase 'Tyranny of the majority' - so you can see where that's heading...
      Originally posted by Old Greg
      I admit I'm just a lazy, lying cretinous hypocrite and must be going deaf
      ♕Keep calm & carry on♕

Comment

Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
        (not wanting this to decent in to a Scotland thread however) So why has there not been a second referendum in Scotland even though the devolved government wants one? Because the UK government has not allowed it, the same situation with Spain not allowing one in Catalonia
        Didn't May state that they could have one AFTER brexit?

Also,
        https://www.theguardian.com/politics...nce-referendum

So to answer - because the devolved government no longer wants one at the moment!?
        ♕Keep calm & carry on♕

Comment

Originally posted by Bean View Post
          Yes but remember there are certain elements of the EU that have actively promoted the phrase 'Tyranny of the majority' - so you can see where that's heading...
          The ECHR is not an EU institution.
          http://www.cih.org/news-article/disp...housing_market

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
            I'd subvert the organisation from within.

Ask a Spanish judge. In any case that's moot, given that the organisers are claiming 99% voting yes.
            Where do you get 99% from? Wiki is currently showing 91.96%. So were the police attacking people in case they were going to vote Yes? Hard to see how voting No is attempting to change the constitution. Surely it is the opposite?

Comment

Of course not but it has the word "European" in it.

I'm alright Jack

Comment

Indeed, but the police have been instructed by the government of Spain, who are part of the EU....
                ♕Keep calm & carry on♕

Comment

Originally posted by Bean View Post
                  Didn't May state that they could have one AFTER brexit?

Also,
                  https://www.theguardian.com/politics...nce-referendum

So to answer - because the devolved government no longer wants one at the moment!?
                  Because the people no longer want it, or she thinks she might lose?

Either way what should be the correct process then?

Regional government camping locally until there is enough support, regional government asks permission from national government who says yes or no.

If yes there is a vote, if no there is not.

Hang on that sounds familiar until the last bit
                  Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
                  I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
                    If it was so easy why have they not done it in the past? For that example why has Scotland not either.

I assume because without international recognition it would be very difficult for a small county to survive on its own
                    It is in no way easy. But new states do from time to time successfully secede against the will of the country they are leaving.

Comment

Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
                      Of course not but it has the word "European" in it.

Yes it does, well done you for noticing
                      ♕Keep calm & carry on♕

Comment

Working...
                      X