• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Blow me for €4 billion

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
    Apparently the export statistics have been skewed by Gold sales. The UK doesn't mine Gold but there is a lot of Gold stored in London bank vaults and recently the Chinese have been repatriating Gold, which gives the impression that the UK is increasing its exports to the rest of the world, but the truth is it simply isn't. When you remove Gold from the figures, most UK exports are to the EU.

Linky?

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post
      The Leave Campaign said no customs union.
      ...but they want access to the market as if there was a customs union.
      or looking at it another way - they may want some kind of access to the market similar to CETA* which doesn't include FoM

...but no mention of what the UK negotiators want. (what dya mean they haven't said yet? )
      I've listed a few things earlier that the UK have said they wanted, but the EU keeps saying no - despite article 50 saying;

" A Member State which decides to withdraw shall notify the European Council of its intention. In the light of the guidelines provided by the European Council, the Union shall negotiate and conclude an agreement with that State, setting out the arrangements for its withdrawal, taking account of the framework for its future relationship with the Union."
      Source: Article 50

What does the leave vote mean?
      The vote didn’t specify.
      didn't the remain campaign say no closer integration, no EU army - both of which JcJ thoroughly vomited burgundy on recently?

It didn’t specify the Irish border.
      It didn’t specify trade
      It didn’t specify freedom of movement for work
      It didn’t specify International treaties.
      It was a vote to leave or not.

Perhaps if someone in the Brexit camp could make positive comments about what they want instead of starting everything off with “No”

Perhaps if someone in the Brexit camp could state what “leave” actually meant in detail, it would help. Is it breaking every single tie with the European Union? Is it only breaking some ties? Which ties do the negotiators want to keep? Open Skies? CEN? CERN? ESA?

It shouldn’t take much for the Brexit negotiators to list off everything where they are happy to stay with the status quo, or is that revealing their hand too much?
      That's the problem when the government position is the option that isn't voted for. There were two leave campaigns, there were lots of options suggested, but nobody on the leave campaign was in a position to make anything unilaterally 'the leave position'

Perhaps a bit more of those questions (in the form of information) should have been included when those leaflets were produced? Perhaps ask Dave Cameron.

As for which bits we want to keep - I fully expect that detail to be discussed in the negotiations and not with the public until later on. Do you believe absolutely every little detail in these huge complex talks should be made public before the whole deal is agreed? (I only ask because I would view that as strange - we didn't hear much about TTIP negotiations until it was leaked by some hero)

*Please note the word 'similar' WTFH, this is NOT me advocating that we copy & paste CETA (It's just you paraphrased me badly earlier and I want to avoid that happening in the future)
      Last edited by Bean; 29 September 2017, 13:21.
      Originally posted by Old Greg
      I admit I'm just a lazy, lying cretinous hypocrite and must be going deaf
      ♕Keep calm & carry on♕

Comment

Originally posted by northernladyuk View Post
        Linky?
        Revealed: How gold takes the shine off Britain's trade figures
        I'm alright Jack

Comment

This seems typical Saboteur propaganda.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladyuk View Post
            Linky?
            https://www.ft.com/content/0407854e-...d3b65?mhq5j=e5

Although that states that London accounts for 80% of all trade, so I would imagine it's always the case that gold figures are skewing our overall picture
            ♕Keep calm & carry on♕

Comment

Sorry, how is it not an answer? I was asked what the EU wanted, I answered clearly.
              The EU wants the border to remain open.
              That is in the best interests of RoI and NI.
              What is unclear about that?
              As far as I'm aware the UK doesn't want anything other than this too. Your inference was, that because the UK has made this choice, the onus in on it to provide the solution.

Comment

Final paragraph:

"And a reminder of yet another industry where Britain leads the world. We may not make the gold, but it transpires there is no-one out there more renowned for looking after it."

Is this going to change?

Comment

Originally posted by The_Equalizer View Post
                  As far as I'm aware the UK doesn't want anything other than this too. Your inference was, that because the UK has made this choice, the onus in on it to provide the solution.
                  The UK may want the border to remain open (meaning invisible I guess - assuming hte border won't be closed!) but is not prepared to make the compromises required to keep the border open within the framework of long-standing EU principles. If the UK wants to stay in the customs union, then the border can stay as is. If the UK as a whole doesn't want to stay in the customs union, then NI could stay within and the border can stay as it is.

But the UK doesn't want these things, so the onus really is on the UK to provide a solution for an invisible borde. Or realistically, to accept that such a thing is impossible and then work constructively to manage the physical infrastructure and checks required at the 275 land border crossings.

Comment

Originally posted by The_Equalizer View Post

I sincerely hope the UK Brexit negotiators want the same thing, but as yet they aren’t saying so.

As your esteemed colleague puts it, the UK doesn’t want to reveal its hand.
                    …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

I sincerely hope the UK Brexit negotiators want the same thing, but as yet they aren’t saying so.

As your esteemed colleague puts it, the UK doesn’t want to reveal its hand.
                      Can lead you to water, but can't make you drink;

https://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=e...ive&gws_rd=ssl

Edit: Thanks WTFH, I had no idea I was esteemed, in your opinion
                      Last edited by Bean; 29 September 2017, 13:44.
                      ♕Keep calm & carry on♕

Comment

Working...
                      X