• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Shocking news!!!

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I know it's terribly unfashionable to be concerned about facts nowadays, but for the one or two who are still interested in them, this is a good and detailed article: Understanding Uber: It’s Not About The App.

Comment

It’s Not About The App.
      Good article but bit of a daft title, I don't think any of us thought it was about some programming error.

I hope this gets sorted with somebody addressing the real issues that TFL has raised otherwise we will lose a valuable service. Saw an article the other day that pointed out that there are other similar, less well known, services so just banning Uber will not really address the concerns.
      bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
      John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Think this article is better:

Uber London ban: The scandals that brought down the ride-hailing app | The Independent
        bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
        John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
          Good article but bit of a daft title, I don't think any of us thought it was about some programming error.

I hope this gets sorted with somebody addressing the real issues that TFL has raised otherwise we will lose a valuable service. Saw an article the other day that pointed out that there are other similar, less well known, services so just banning Uber will not really address the concerns.
          The thing is that those services don't have the marketing clout of Uber, nor the VC funding to allow them to run at such a huge loss per transaction so as to appear cheap, but they do abide by the rules.

This whole thing will end with Uber realising that it can't get away with this crap and needs to do the same.

Comment

Uber are saying in one paper they will sort the problems out while in another they are saying sod TFL we will see you in court. The Mayor of London has told TFL to make the relevant people available if Uber decide to negotiate to sort their tulip out.
            "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
              Uber are saying in one paper they will sort the problems out while in another they are saying sod TFL we will see you in court. The Mayor of London has told TFL to make the relevant people available if Uber decide to negotiate to sort their tulip out.
              Different sides of the same coin: they can keep operating while they appeal, so they have to go to court; but they know they can't win the appeal unless they start playing by the rules. One newspaper presents this as Uber being conciliatory, another as them being defiant, according to the whim of the editor.

Is the second paper one that makes no secret of hating the current Mayor of London, by any chance?

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
                According to Uber, they have been trying to speak to TfL for some time but nobody would meet with them. At the same time, TfL and Khan have met with representatives from other companies providing a similar service.
                Best Forum Advisor 2014
                Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
                Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
                  According to Uber, they have been trying to speak to TfL for some time but nobody would meet with them. At the same time, TfL and Khan have met with representatives from other companies providing a similar service.
                  And does anyone believe them?

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
                    Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
                    The TFL reps did try to attend the arranged meeting but their Uber cab couldn't find the address.

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
                      Since TFL can charge Uber £3 Million for a licence to operate...
                      "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Working...
                      X