• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Theresa May's speech On Friday has been leaked

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Theresa May's speech On Friday has been leaked

Here it is:

“The time has come to face the truth about Brexit. Our people have voted to leave, and so we shall. But no one asked how, on what terms or at what national or personal sacrifice. Nothing on that small ballot paper gave me any clue as to what each of 17,410,742 voters had in mind. So it falls to me to interpret the people’s will. And, as my chancellor says, no one voted to become poorer."

“In the 15 months since that vote, I have studied every option. I have listened to experts – yes, I believe in expertise. Businesses small and large almost with one voice warn that leaving the single market and the customs union risks devastating manufacturing, finance and services. Already we see banks and companies setting up new headquarters across the Channel. I see talented Europeans ready to depart, not least from the NHS: they need reassurance now.”
    “To stay within the single market and the customs union, we must pay our dues: we will strike a fair price, fair for the gain that buys our economy. We will leave the EU’s councils and its parliament, as the vote requires. But we are not leaving our closest neighbours and old allies. Instead we shall seek to stay in the EEA, alongside Switzerland and Norway, who are thriving. And so shall we. There is no other solution to the problem of the Northern Irish border: the EU cannot leave open a back door; and it is my duty not to jeopardise the hard-won peace agreement. Nor will we put at risk the great good brought by all our fellow European citizens who have chosen to live with us, interwoven in the rich fabric of our cultural life."

“The time has come to refute the delirious fantasies of those who have led us out of the EU. My colleague Boris has just given another firework display of his own imagined glorious future. Words are his milieu, but mine is the real world in which ordinary people earn their living and hope to flourish. I have yet to see from him, or any of those who would plunge us over the cliff edge, any details as to how cutting off half our trade will do us anything but harm. I am shocked any minister of mine would wilfully ignore the chair of the UK Statistics Authority on a matter of fact."

“Some will still follow these pied pipers spinning airy dreams. No doubt some will challenge me. But I will stand and fight for the interests of my country against the whims of elements in my own party. I am prime minister of the country first, leader of my party second. Protecting the people is my prime duty, and I will condone no damage to all who have already suffered a hard decade since the start of this global recession.

“Judge me not as a party politician, but as a prime minister delivering my people’s wish to take Britain out of the European Union while seeing our country thrive and prosper. Out of the EU, yes, but we will stay close to our good neighbours after 70 years of mutual prosperity and peace. Here in Italy, as in France, Germany and all the EU nations, we rely on one another’s strengths and our common civilisation in a dangerous world. In Brexit, Britain will neither harm itself nor its good friends.”

Her peroration complete, she sits back to consider the words she has written, sighs, crumples the paper and throws it into the bin. She dare not, after all.

As Imagined by ....
    Hard Brexit now!
    #prayfornodeal

Ah, Polly Toynbee, the greatest Prime Minister Britain never had...or was it Tuscany...?
    His heart is in the right place - shame we can't say the same about his brain...

Comment

Originally posted by Mordac View Post
      Ah, Polly Toynbee, the greatest Prime Minister Britain never had...or was it Tuscany...?
      Is she wrong on this? I agree with her, Theresa will put party above country.
      Hard Brexit now!
      #prayfornodeal

Comment

Well, if you'd said upfront that came from Poly Tonybee I wouldn't have wasted any time reading it.

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
          Instead we shall seek to stay in the EEA, alongside Switzerland and Norway, who are thriving
          Yeeeaaah... but they've never left the EU.
          "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by RetSet View Post
            Well, if you'd said upfront that came from Poly Tonybee I wouldn't have wasted any time reading it.
            sas is the forum leader when it comes to regurgitating twaddle from a myriad of disreputable and, frankly, ridiculous sources.

He would, I am sure, love to treat us to some of his own fanciful tripe but originality is not a strong suit of his.

HTH

“The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

Hot off the press, apparently it will be a

Soft Brexit

...a soft mushy Brexit, May is going to propose a "Bespoke Brexit" that looks awfully like the Swiss model.

I'm alright Jack

Comment

Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
                Hot off the press, apparently it will be a

Soft Brexit

May is going to propose a "Bespoke Brexit" that looks awfully like the Swiss model.

The Swiss model is perfectly acceptable - in fact any model where we let the rest of Europe do what it wants while we continue to trade with it would be fine....
                merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
                  Yeeeaaah... but they've never left the EU.
                  Hitting the hooch this early on a Thursday? Everything alright Scooty?
                  His heart is in the right place - shame we can't say the same about his brain...

Comment

I agree with Michael Heseltine, after a few years outside the EU everyone will wonder what the fuss was about, demographics will swing popular opinion behind the EU, hard to find anyone under 30 who doesn't regularly wave a blue flag and we'll probably end up with the Euro.
                    I'm alright Jack

Comment

Working...
                    X