• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

49% support universal basic income

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Universal income sounds a bit like money for nothing, not sure it would work, but the good news would be the streets would be deserted as no-one would need to work.
    I'm alright Jack

Comment

If its done properly, ie by a radical simplification of the tax and benefits system then cost is not an issue.

There are easy ways of implementing it. For instance put everyone not already earning on a PAYE system and pay them a token one quid per month, then set their tax allowance to drip feed them "refunds" every month. Give everyone a tax allowance which gives them a big refund if they earn nothing. Scrap all the benefits systems and admin staff.

Easily done, no new systems needed, no new software, no new business processes, just do it with simple manipulation of tax code and using bog standard payroll software.

It would be the overly complex way the civil service and politicians would want to implement it, then the 1001 special cases they would want to make, which would ruin it. If you could stop all that nonsense it would be easy.

Comment

Read something that the money saved not investigating benefit claims could be put to use just giving everyone a basic income, not sure how much truth is in it, but given how bureaucratic HMG is I wouldn't be surprised
        Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
        I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

Originally posted by Waldorf View Post
          any attempt to introduce this will completely bankrupt us.
          You say it like we aren't already completely bankrupt

Once the housing market declines (note, not bursts, declines) and the banks start to panic, we're all in real trouble.

Comment

Originally posted by CoolCat View Post
            significant admin savings in the tax and benfits system come from simplifying them massively and then that money gets diverted into the publics pockets.
            Significant savings = unemployed civil servants = less tax revenue to pay for this pipe dream.

Yes it sounds like a great idea in theory, but as Waldorf said, there aren't enough "rich" people to pay for it, despite Labour's assertions that taxing people on £80k+ is sufficient. I call BS on that.

Comment

Originally posted by filthy1980 View Post
              one question I haven't seen addressed by the UBI argument is . . . . what would be the cost of a pint of milk or a loaf of bread if suppliers knew that every person in the country had a guaranteed income of e.g. £12,000 per year
              Someone's been reading up on their A level economics

Comment

What a load of rubbish. We'd all like to give away free money and spend cash but just where is the money going to come from? The article mentions an extra cost of £143 billion! We still have a huge deficit, increased demands to spend on other things this is just ridiculous.

Labourites spin this type of rubbish as being able to be paid by the wealthy etc. There are not enough of them to pay for this, any attempt to introduce this will completely bankrupt us.
                You know governments can literally print money right?

Comment

Teachers are already fooked. The kids are naturally learning that whatever they want to know about is on you tube or Kahn academy. In the coming decade there will finally be a realisation that teaching needs to be turned inside out. There will be a move to a model where most work is done out of the class with the teachers there as assistance for answering questions for the relative few.

Universal Basic income is more than achievable as long as we stop letting companies charge the tax payer £10,000 for £1 worth of work.

The sad fact though is the lefties of this world are poorly equipped to deliver the change as they have no understanding of actual organisational changes and delivery of value for money. This is why every organisation that is ran by Guardian reading luvvies gets screwed up.

Comment

Originally posted by tiggat View Post
                    You know governments can literally print money right?
                    Then why do we have a deficit? Can't we just print enough money and pay it off immediately, thereby saving the country billions in interest repayments?

Bingo! I think you've got it. Drop a note to Phil Hammond immediately!

Comment

What a load of rubbish. We'd all like to give away free money and spend cash but just where is the money going to come from? The article mentions an extra cost of £143 billion! We still have a huge deficit, increased demands to spend on other things this is just ridiculous.

Labourites spin this type of rubbish as being able to be paid by the wealthy etc. There are not enough of them to pay for this, any attempt to introduce this will completely bankrupt us.
                      Well as a suggestion you could start to tax the machines that will be replacing most of us in the coming years. We really are on the epoch of a society implosion of Mayan proportions. It's not an IF its a WHEN and God help all of us if someone gets AI working because thats going to be a ******* hoot...

It might not hit the IT guys at first (although clouds hollowing out infrastructure work) but when you start to see an end to all the driving jobs and companies are building brick laying machines that can run 24/7 and lay 1000 bricks an hour. There is a vast number of jobs that are on the edge of doom.

Comment

Working...
                      X