• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

All diesel and petrol car sales to be banned

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mordac View Post
    I did see a TV show sometime back where they tried to convert an old V8 Range Rover to LPG, but it was the wrong type of RR and the engine couldn't handle it, probably the same sort of thing you've described. The other problem with LPG is that you can't seem to get it anywhere. I know of one Esso on the Uxbridge Road near Ealing which sells it, and that's about it. Mind you, the cost savings if you do run a V8 RR must be quite considerable, and worth the trek to find it.
    Shell on Hanger Lane IIRC.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladyuk View Post
      One of your regular pick-up points?
      His heart is in the right place - shame we can't say the same about his brain...

Comment

You must be one of the only fools who stops there.

Arh....
        "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

One of your regular pick-up points?
          The old man likes a good gyratory system. Tottenham Hale is too classy for him.

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
            You must be one of the only fools who stops there.

Arh....
            You don't know Hangar Lane then, everyone stops there at some stage, usually for bloody hours...
            His heart is in the right place - shame we can't say the same about his brain...

Comment

You don't know Hangar Lane then, everyone stops there at some stage, usually for bloody hours...
              I definitely do and have never used it.

I tend to fill up at the supermarkets before or after as they are cheaper.
              "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

The old man likes a good gyratory system. Tottenham Hale is too classy for him.
                Tottenham Hale ain't gyratory any more.

Comment

Originally posted by jds 1981 View Post
                  Tottenham Hale ain't gyratory any more.
                  Depends how much you pay NLyUK, she will make your brain spin!
                  Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Well hydrogen seems to make the most sense, it's cheap to produce (relative to petrol) and only produces water vapour, plus you do get a similar sensation to internal combustion, such as a 5 min fill-up and a real engine noise - which will help pedestrians who will otherwise be mowed down in their thousands by silent cars.
                    The govt could even tax it.
                    One snag with hydrogen is that it leaks quite fast from tanks, and (due to basic physical principles) this is next to impossible to prevent over time.

It is also highly inflammable even at low concentrations and temperatures, and hydrogen combustion releases huge amounts of energy. From the Wikipedia article Hydrogen safety :

Hydrogen gas is an extremely high-powered fuel. It burns with incredible speed and can produce incredible force; but being lower energy density than gasoline, it is used mostly for applications that require vast amounts of instantaneous power - such as rocketry and spaceflight. For instance, it was used to power the Space Shuttle.
                    I wouldn't want a large tank of it in my garage, or loads of them scooting around on the roads, especially with bad guys who could easily adapt the tank in a hydrogen powered vehicle into a colossally powerful bomb!
                    Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
                      One snag with hydrogen is that it leaks quite fast from tanks, and (due to basic physical principles) this is next to impossible to prevent over time.

It is also highly inflammable even at low concentrations and temperatures, and hydrogen combustion releases huge amounts of energy. From the Wikipedia article Hydrogen safety :

I wouldn't want a large tank of it in my garage, or loads of them scooting around on the roads, especially with bad guys who could easily adapt the tank in a hydrogen powered vehicle into a colossally powerful bomb!
                      Would you suggest we use Helium instead?
                      Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Working...
                      X